What Wood Is common?

On or off Topic
louckswayne

What Wood Is common?

Post by louckswayne »

Hi Guys
As most of us know, almost all the major psg. builders have gone to mica finish
and the days of the pretty wood finish is almost a thing of the past! I was
wondering what wood is commonly used when the guitar is mica covered!
Would love to here from anyone in the know about this!
Thanks
Most Sincerely
Wayne
Pat Comeau

Re: What Wood Is common?

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Wayne, i used maple on my last mica PSG, i like hard rock maple cause it keeps the screw nice and tight, one could use some other hard wood for the aprons as long it's hard enough for the screw to be tight, i been thinking about making one with laminated maple veneer...i heard it has a sound of it's own, GFI makes some with laminated veneer, i know one thing that makes mica superior than lacquer finish is that mica is more scratch and dings resistant compare to lacquer but there's nothing as beautifull as a nice lacuqer finish. ;)
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Pat
Im ready to start making my cabinet and just wanted to discuss the options!
I havnt bought the wood yet and havnt decided what way to go yet! We need
the hard maple because of its strength and stiffness IMHO. How thick is the mica
and where can you buy it? I also was thinking of mica covered with a wood
front apron! This idea might look sharp, what do you think?
Wayne
Bent

Post by Bent »

Wayne, just to let you know...Here in London we have Philmore Enterprises, where I get all my wood..birdseye, curly, hard maple plus the exotics. Kiln dried.
The wood I bought for this steel body was $80.- including cutoffs and hst. Very cheap if you ask me.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Pat -

Yes - GFI does make their instruments out of a Maple plywood called "die board". The maple laminations are much, much thinner than garden-variety plywood. Further, there are no voids within the laminated structure, thus ensuring that a screw will have maximum holding power. The material will never warp or cup given the many cross-laminations involved. Very stable.

I'll reiterate once again that I plan to use Maple die board in my design and laminate a thin (1/8" or so) sheet made out of an undecided, as yet, exotic wood. It means more work to assemble the cabinet but I'll never lose any sleep over either its' strength or its' stability.

Richard
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Richard
The maple die-board sounds interesting! Where would one obtain this?
Wayne
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

[quote="Bent"]Wayne, just to let you know...Here in London we have Philmore Enterprises, where I get all my wood..birdseye, curly, hard maple plus the exotics. Kiln dried.
The wood I bought for this steel body was $80.- including cutoffs and hst. Very cheap if you ask me.[/quote

Bent, maybe you could give me a phone number for Philmore Enterprises!
Wayne
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Wayne -

"Google" "maple die board suppliers" and you'll find manufacturers and distributors. McCausey will most likely be a first choice. Would most likely have to buy a 4X8 sheet of the stuff, though. Maybe pricey for that much? Don't know.

Richard
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

I was thinking :roll: ...how about a 1/8" maple veneer and laminate 6 layers together with contact cement for a 3/4" thick :? ?...it would be alot cheaper to buy a 4'x8' sheet and you could probabably make a few out of a sheet!
any thought on that?

:)
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

richard37066 wrote:Wayne -

"Google" "maple die board suppliers" and you'll find manufacturers and distributors. McCausey will most likely be a first choice. Would most likely have to buy a 4X8 sheet of the stuff, though. Maybe pricey for that much? Don't know.

Richard
Thanks Richard, ill check it out!
Wayne