C6 neck

On or off Topic
Fred Wright

C6 neck

Post by Fred Wright »

Can I use E9 tuning on a C6 neck? Is there any technical difference between the two necks?
Paul Lafountaine

Re: C6 neck

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi Fred! I am assuming you are talking about pedal steel here and I am not experienced with that animal. Would the copedant not be different? Someone here will know for sure. If it is a pedal steel Fred, Post this in the pedal steel forum and you will get an answer guaranteed.

Paul
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Fred -

Gotta ask the most obvious question - why? Then:

Absolutely no difference at all providing that you understand a couple of concepts. I assume, first and foremost, that you are contemplating a restructure of a D10 pedal steel instrument - one which has both the E9 and C6 copedants installed.

First: - The designations E9 or C6 refer only to the open string tuning and the copedant used. That is, how the strings are initially tuned and then how individual strings are raised or lowered in order to obtain different pitches by the mechanics of the instrument.

Secondly: - Given that either tuning requires a dedicated and unique set of mechanicals for the alteration of pitch, it follows that, in order to, say, place an E9 tuning on what is traditionally a C6 neck (closest to your body) one must move all of the associated mechanicals and strings to the C6 side. And, of course, all of the associated C6 mechanicals to the E9 side. This is not something which is to be taken lightly as all of the pullrods, bellcranks and the other associated linkages must, most likely, have to be moved or adjusted as well. Further, the crossrods (shafts) will have to be full width - that is, extending from the front to the back aprons.

Can it be done? Most certainly - but I shudder at the thought of possibly having to relocate things like knee levers, reversing mechanisms and the like such that they don't get in the way of necessary bellcrank and pullrod action. A comprehensive and detailed plan of attack is definitely required with copious notes, diagrams, rodding charts, measurements, photos blah, blah, blah.

I certainly hope that I've not "talked down" to you as I only wish to toss a few notions in your direction so as to get your thinking heading down the right track. The above is definitely NOT a detailed guide as to how to make the transformation. Just fodder for thought.

Were it me, I would first answer the question that I posed at the top: - Why? If you can justify such a major undertaking then, by all means, do your homework and dive in with both feet.

Needless to say, there's a bunch of folks here who will gladly assist you in the effort should you decide to make the change. I'll certainly contribute, if I can.

Richard
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Thanks Paul. Because I'm having troubly purchasing parts to build a single neck PSG, (very expensive) I have the opportunity to buy an old C6 neck complete, rather cheaply. So that is why I asked the question. Being somewhat new to building, I probably incorrectly approached the question, making it confusing.

Richard, thank you also. I think you have answered my confusing question. If you don't mind, I may need more advice later. Would emailing be easier, or is the builder Forum still OK? Fred
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Fred -

Although I have conversed by email with others here on this forum and on the SGF regarding various subjects, I would highly recommend that you address this subject - as Paul suggests - in the pedal steel section. My reasoning: - There's a whole bunch of folks here that have a ton of years of experience and can give you the straight skinny on every imaginable topic. A quick reading of the topics and posts in the pedal steel section will affirm my faith in the expertise of the members.

Besides, there are differing opinions which should be considered as opposed to the dictates of only one.

Do not be afraid to ask the simplest of questions. I think that Georg paraphrased an old saying that says that there's no such thing as a stupid question if you honestly do not know the answer. Fire away!

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Fred, This question has not been fielded here yet, so I am sure we all would love to sink our teeth into that one!
I have but one thing to add to Richard's excellent answer: if the guitar has keyhead rollers that are gauged, you would have to get new ones that are gauged to the E9th strings. But that's no big deal.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Thanks Richard and Bent. In the future I'll address this question in the Pedal Steel section.

Bent, like Richard's original, succinct answers, the info on the keyhead rollers is another concern I was looking for - thanks!

Now, off to the Pedal Steel section. :roll:
Fred