build a PSG??

On or off Topic
Bent

Re: build a PSG??

Post by Bent »

Paul, Richard, thanks for all the nice words of wonderful support!
Since starting here on the Builders, my credo has been: Help and ye shall be helped. Fact: I helped a young man adjust his new/old steel for free. Daddy got wind of this and decided I should receive a mill all set up, with electrics and tooling FREE.
I can show more examples but suffice it to say: If we help each other, we in turn will be helped. Helping also gives a warm feeling of things done right. That in itself is a reward. Wonderful friends I get from offering my help is another reward.

Anyway, to address Wayne's concerns: Wayne, basically Richard gave you the best advice you could possibly get. The graph paper is great.Make a cross section of the changer end of the steel (the steel seen from the front or back with the aprons cut away)
That is exactly what I did in making my current changer. Actually I started with a horizontal line on a white bristol board. This line is the top of the deck. Then I drew a line 3/4" above the 1st line. That was my neck. I decided right there that I wanted the strings an inch and a half above the deck line(and 3/4" above the neck line) So I drew in the pillow block and the round part of the finger here with another line coming off the finger which is the string.. Then I drew in the finger and next the "scissors" - raise and lower bars. And on and on. Until finally I had the whole "changer" within the confines of the 1.5" string height on top and a 4" tall end plate on the bottom.
I still have that crude drawing kicking around in the shop. Now I will make sure to keep it in anticipation of your visit. It will all be apparent to you once you see it, and through my explanations.

You are a very motivated fellow and I hope your family member's health problem gets resolved soon. I am certain that you will get your steel built.
Just shoot me an email when you are ready and we will set up a time for you to come here.
with respect,
Bent
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Bent
Thanks so much for your reply and kind words. I will indeed take Richards advice and make
a mock-up dwg. When i get done maybe i can e-mail a copy to Richard and yourself. You
guys may spot a problem that i have overlooked. I am lucky and gratefull to get help and
advice from you guys here on the forum . I will get to work on that dwg. and get back to
you.
Thanks again
Sincerely
Wayne
Bent

Post by Bent »

You betcha Wayne. We'll be here.
Hint: This would now fit better in the Pedal Steel section. Better exposure.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.