carter changer dimensions

On or off Topic
louckswayne

carter changer dimensions

Post by louckswayne »

Does anyone have actual dimensions for a 10 string 3 raise/lower carter changer fingers?
The one shown on gogle patents is full size (I think)!
Any help would be great!
Thanks
Wayne
Bent

Re: carter changer dimensions

Post by Bent »

Wayne,
Those patent drawings are tricky. They may or they may not be full size. You notice they don't supply any measurements. I believe that is to prevent copying. So if we want to copy a patent drawing, we have to sit down and make drawings and measurements. Who knows...your guitar body may be a quarter inch deeper or shallower than the guitar in question. You have every detail to consider - What is your string height above the deck? What is your pull rod distance between pull rods? I have found the best way is to make a profile of the neck and body thicknesses, factoring in string height and all the other stuff.
It is near to impossible for people to send you their drawings, there are too many factors at play here.
I believe your best bet would be to do what I suggested earlier: Take a drive one day and pay me a visit and see for yourself what all is involved in the building. This will give you some solid ideas from which to continue your project.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Bent
This is why I have not started to build. I dont like guessing when it involves so much work,
time, and money. I have a friend that just purchased a D-10 carter, and Im sure that he
would let me take some measurements off the guitar. His guitar is 3 raise/lower and the ht.
of the end plate (C6th neck) is about 3 1/8 high. ( this is only a guess, but I will measure it
for sure) So for now I will indeed take your advice and I agree that one should have the changer fingers first and then design the rest of the guitar around that!
Thanks very much for your input!
Wayne
burt

Post by burt »

Why copy the Carter?

The best sounding all-pull changer fingers are totally different than the Carter, very simple to make, and bullet-proof when set up.

I'm talking about the ZB changer finger, which bottoms out on the endplate, for a very positive connection between finger and steel
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Hey Burt
Thanks for your input! I will indeed take your word for it about the ZB changer
fingers but, could you provide me a DWG. Im just looking for a good design to
build!
Thanks
Wayne
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Burt
I have been looking at the patents on gogle of the ZB changer fingers. This is the best
design I have seen. However, as you know they are not actual sized. Other than to
measure up the changer fingers from a ZB guitar, I cant think (yet!) of a way!
There must be a way because you other guys are building guitars. Any help on
this would be great. For now, I am on hold!
Wayne
burt

Post by burt »

Wayne,
I happen to have a spare changer finger in my box of bits.

If you look at the photo, the hole centre dimensions (starting from the centre of the top hole) are:

1 3/4"
2 1/4"
3 1/4"
Attachments
ZBChangerFinger-copy.jpg
ZBChangerFinger-copy.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Hey Burt
This changer finger looks nothing like the ZB finger shown on the
gogle patent! Im confused!