bearings in the fingers?

On or off Topic
louckswayne

bearings in the fingers?

Post by louckswayne »

I am wondering if anyone has put bearings in the pull fingers. Ed Fulawka does this
and I have heard that his guitars play real nice with smooth pedal action!
(less friction) As for what kind of bearing or bushing I dont know!
Wayne
Bent

Re: bearings in the fingers?

Post by Bent »

Hi Wayne,
Try and put the posts where you think they will get the most exposure. This one, to me, should have been in "Pedal Steel".
Anyway, here you see my changer assembly..only one of a slew of them and nothing special. As you see I have a 1/8" ID bearing on the lower bar where it touches the finger. The finger itself runs on just the axle...I believe for ultimate sonic contact.
Chgr-assy-002.jpg
Chgr-assy-002.jpg (45.18 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Bent
Thanks for this picture. It clearly shows the bearing! In your opinion,
how much play or slop is exceptable for the finger on the axle?
Thanks
Wayne
Bent

Post by Bent »

Wayne, No slop is expectable. Also, once everything is installed and strings tuned up and exerting force against the finger, there should automatically be no slop at all...think about it, the finger gets pulled hard against the back of the axle by the string.
For a different picture of slop/no slop: I use a drill rod for the axle. These are a perfect 1/2" diameter. I ream out the half inch hole in the finger with a reamer. This should make for a snug fit and still allow the finger to rotate freely.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Bent wrote:Wayne, No slop is expectable. Also, once everything is installed and strings tuned up and exerting force against the finger, there should automatically be no slop at all...think about it, the finger gets pulled hard against the back of the axle by the string.
For a different picture of slop/no slop: I use a drill rod for the axle. These are a perfect 1/2" diameter. I ream out the half inch hole in the finger with a reamer. This should make for a snug fit and still allow the finger to rotate freely.
Thanks Bent.......Got it!