My E9 Copedant

On or off Topic
Dave-M

My E9 Copedant

Post by Dave-M »

Here's what I have at present. I added the pedals for a C6 that was too hard for me to get the hang of, so went back to E9. The colours represent the size and direction of the changes.

What are your copedants?
I did mine in Xcel, got a screen shot with ALT-PRINTSCREEN, copied it into Irfanview, and cropped it.
Dave-M E9 copedent.jpg
Dave-M E9 copedent.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
I found P1 to be too awkward to use as A , since this was my first PSG, so I tuned it for an augmented which I seldom use. My H is usually what would be on YOUR LKV, but I took LKV lever off for the C6 and used it on another PSG.

The two F#s on the G lever in conjunction with E lever give me a down chord (2,5,7) at root. I am not too swift at using strings 1 and 7 for the F#. Add a B pedal on pull-release (the 4 overrides the 2) to get V7 (4,5,7) chord. As most already know, the (2,4,7) V7 is F lever @ 2 frets left of root, and the (2,4,5) V7 is F&H@ 1 fret right. One I7 (1,3,7b) is G&H @ 2 frets left, with I9 (2,3,7b) being just H @ 2 frets left.

The numbers used above are notes of the key root major scale.

EDIT: I missed the extra 7 in the E lever. Tried to swap pictures in "edit" but no attachment features there!!!!
Last edited by Dave-M on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
Dave-M

Re: My E9 Copedant

Post by Dave-M »

I bought Mel Bay's "Pedal Steel Guitar Method" by Don Sharp 20 years before I built a PSG using Mac Knowle's book.
This is Don's copedant. He suggested adding a knee raising string 5 to C.
DonSharpE9.jpg
DonSharpE9.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
EDIT: Drat! I got E and H pedals reversed from his layout, but I like this better because you can get the B and E with one foot for a V7 at root fret.
Bob T.

Post by Bob T. »

Dave, I would switch LKL and RKR. You're missing a lot of good stuff that can be done by lowering your Es and B together while pushing your A & B pedals. (If you have a way to tune your split on string 5 you will have your C note). You can't do that if they're both on the same knee.
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Thanks, Bob. I may put another V lever in for the H function. I am so used to the G and E levers where they are. As for splits, I am using pull-release, so there are none. Raises take precedence.