So Ya Think You're Strings Are Different Than Mine?

On or off Topic
richard37066

So Ya Think You're Strings Are Different Than Mine?

Post by richard37066 »

Hey, y'all -

No doubt all of us spend too much time scouring the 'net for various and sundried things. Me, too. This time I was attempting to find out whether there were great differences in the wire used in plain strings hoping to get an idea as to how different alloys affect sustain. Lo, and behold, I came across The Mapes Piano String Company. You should all recognize the name since you've probably run across it in your travels at one time or another. They've been around for a hunnert years.

In addition to replacement piano wire, they also produce what they call "Specialty Wire".

Guess who they supply?

GNI
Martin
Gibson
Fender
D'Addario
D'Aquisto
Peavey
DR
SIT
Ernie Ball
Rotosound
GHS
Black Diamond
Dean Markley
Vinci

Since the variation in the alloy(s) used is quite small, one MIGHT assume that my plain strings are no better'n yours. ..................Or anyone else's.

Ain't the 'net wunnerful?

Richard

Oh. Never did find a reference to wire strings other than the tekky charts showing tensile strength for various materials. In steels used for making wire it doesn't vary by much.
Farmer

Re: So Ya Think You're Strings Are Different Than Mine?

Post by Farmer »

Richard, you are just a boatload of information, may you happily keep up your endevors....also happy belated birthday, I'll be 66 Feb 24, so I am a little behind you, check out this patent by Mr. Leo Fender, I think it is a for runner of the Fields design you are working on. I believe the changer was a chrome plated steel.