Measure twice, cut once... (yeah, right!)

On or off Topic
Allan

Measure twice, cut once... (yeah, right!)

Post by Allan »

I have no idea why I am posting this. I should keep my mouth shut and my head down.
A day or two ago I posted a picture of the lap steel I just completed for my Son In Law. I decided to build a case for it before I sent it off to him. I completed the case today - looking good!
Then I went to put the guitar in it - not looking good. I forgot to allow for the inner lip on the bottom when I worked out the size of it all. The thing is so much made to size that the guitar will not go into it by about a quarter of an inch.
There is a queue forming here to kick my butt - if I could get around there I would be first!
What is that saying? Measure once, cut twice or something like that? :oops:
Oh well, with the practice I just got, the next one (tomorrow) should be better all round. :roll:

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
village idiot

Re: Measure twice, cut once... (yeah, right!)

Post by village idiot »

Allan
I emphasis with your efforts /aggravation. During my recent retirement, I operated a custom cabinet shop and while most jobs went fairly smoothly, I ran into a particular part of a corner unit where it didn't seem to matter how many times I measured it was destined to cut too long/short..... I was to the point of making a jig to facilitate rump kicking but finally the fates smiled upon me. Will admit that every cut got a little better until I got it right. I'm sure your next one will be perfect.

Roger
The village idiot
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Allan, I'm really glad you posted. Now I don't feel so lonely. Should know better I usually measure once and cut 2 or more times. Makes us human I suppose. Darn nuisance sometimes though. Doesn't the Bible say something about casting first stones and logs in one's eye. Hate to disapoint you but I won't be lining up for a kick.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

My Cousin has a saying that fits this post.

Dang!!!!!! I done cut it off three times, and it's still too short.....go figger, been there done that.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Ive used that butt kickin jig alot Allen. I made a violin one time and fogot to put in the bass bar before i glued the top on , ive cut wood too short at times ruining a great piece of wood too, the list could go on and on etc etc :shock: Keep pickin (or cuttin maybe lol) It ll get shorter sure wont get any longer lol Russ