Must Finally Be Winter

On or off Topic
Eldon

Must Finally Be Winter

Post by Eldon »

Must finally be winter I can tell because the candle in he outhouse doesn't put out much heat anymore and an elbow in my waterline froze last night so we had no water this morning.
We had -36 C last nite, it's -33 right now and heading south like my bride & I should be.

Darn!
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Georg

Re: Must Finally Be Winter

Post by Georg »

Only between -8 and -15°C around here, and that's sort of ok as long as there's no wind - like right now. Humidity high since we're only 5-6 kilometer in from the coast, so it feels colder than it is outdoors.

A few waterpipes frozen in the barn, and some will probably stay frozen till spring. Our animals spend most of the time outdoors and find water in the creek, so as long as the main pipes hold it's not a real problem. Heatpump still working pretty well - it's a "Nordic" type, and plenty of firewood to top it up during the coldest evenings/nights. All in all not too bad so far, but it is definitely winter here in Norway.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

13 F degrees here or about - 9 C here in South East Tennessee . I missed the first day of work in 17 years because of the weather. The roads are iced over and I live 20 miles from work. Not worth it for me to chance it and I was of for the next 4 days anyway. Looks like I am off for 5 days now. :lol: The last time I missed work was in 1993 when we had a blizzard and I couldn't get out of the driveway because of ice also.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Scott, that'll give you lots of time to work on your project :-)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Not a chance Bent. My shop only has a 20' x 14' room off to the side for guitar stuff.
I use a kerosene heater for heating it and when it gets this cold I move it inside to help keep the house warm. With my arthritis I just can't handle the cold. It will be spring before I do much of anything . It is 8 degree F here this morning and snow and ice on the ground. Not the normal for Southern Tennessee but I guess it is just global warming .
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Coldest morning yet -37 C (-34.6 F). Lit the wood stove in my shop yesterday (almost same temp) and did some layout stuff and figuring on top of it for about an hour. I keep thinking about your propanr heater Bent.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bent

Post by Bent »

Minus 37...nobody should have to take that kind of punishment.
Do you get cheaper propane up north? No GST maybe?
Eldon, there's nothing like wood for even heat. It can easily get too hot though.
My propane heater was a smart move for me. Now that we are getting up there in age, who wants to go out there with the chainsaw and gather wood all summer, to have the 7 or 8 cords needed for the winter. Then you have the insurance co to contend with. That is a true pain down here in the south.
The other way is to buy all your wood ready cut, split and dried, at about $60 a cord.
Now I just walk in and flick the thermostat, walk out, and in a matter of 20 minutes, it is 20C in there. (I keep it at 12 at night)
The cost breakdown looks like this:
Once you get over the initial price shock of buying the heater and having it installed - $1500....
I filled the tank to 80% on Nov 18. It cost me $200(58.3c/L)
Now it's at 25%
Say at the 2 month mark I'll have used up the $200. The average was say -8 C, 1/3 was milder, a few colder.
So that's 100 bucks a month.
I burnt a cord per month = $60
So 40% more money I guess, but that's not counting gas etc to fetch the wood. And the pain to do it..

I will stick with propane.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.