changer fingers

Links and info on wood, parts, design and plans, tools...
jcbartee

changer fingers

Post by jcbartee »

Anyone know where to buy changer fingers
double raise double lower
Rick Dillon

Re: changer fingers

Post by Rick Dillon »

I am a newbie to the forum and I am looking for a complete changer system also, wanting to build my own. I will cut out my aluminum neck to the right specifics for the changer. Please, somebody help to point us in the right direction. I have every thing to build one the way I need it except a changer. Thanks, Rick Dillon
Bent

Post by Bent »

Hi Rick and jbartee,
I am responding to your post of almost a year ago. Just wanted to shed light on some facts regarding changers. This is the way I see it and it may not be the general consensus, only my own, and as a result of my own experiences.
I see the changer as the heart or brains of the pedal steel. A changer is so very much individual to each guitar brand that it would be near impossible to take my changer and put it on another brand without MAJOR rebuild of your whole guitar - from the cabinet to the leverages to the exact spot to put the lower return stop, and on and on. There is a whole lot more involved than to cut your existing neck to fit. If you have the equipment to cut your own neck, then you most likely have the equipment to make a changer from scratch.

The first 2 changers I built involved: A disk sander, a hack saw(advancing to an angle grinder) and a drill press.

If I had time I would gladly sell you one of my changers but you would most likely have to adapt not only your neck but also the whole cabinet, regarding: cabinet depth, top deck thickness, axle pillow blocks and placement of changer in regards to the scale length (changer hole in cabinet) and maybe also hole spacing in your bell cranks and placement of cross shafts. For me to build you a changer according to your own specs would be for me to run a one-off. This would be cost-prohibitive for you.

The best way to tackle the problem is for you to grab the bull by the horns and make your own changer according to your plans. It is not as hard as it might look.

This forum is the steel guitar builder where we take pride in building things at the same time as we take pride in helping each other with questions, guidelines and work procedures. I, for one, would be more than happy to guide you along as my time allows.

Look back in the old postings ; you might find answers in the pics and descriptions we have already shared.

Please don't feel put off by my words. And don't feel intimidated attempting a changer with a minimum of tools. It IS possible!
With respect,
Bent
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Rick Dillon

Post by Rick Dillon »

Bent, Thanks for taking the time to respond, I think I will give it a try to build my own changer, I already have made the bell cranks and axle,s, knee lever assy., and mounting rails from aluminum. Bushings I can get local. I made need some help from you later, if you don,t mind if and when you get time. Thanks again for your time and encouragement. Rick
Bent

Post by Bent »

Rick, you're welcome. When you have questions, just throw them on the forum. If I don't have the time or knowledge to respond, I am sure there are others who do( I have seen some great changers on here!)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.