Spacers for Changer

Links and info on wood, parts, design and plans, tools...
Eldon

Spacers for Changer

Post by Eldon »

I made my changer fingers 1/16 inch too narrow and I need spacers with the following dimensions.

1/16 inch thick
5/8 inch bore
7/8 inch outside diameter

Sparkplug gaskets - even the old ones I've found are off size.
Brass close nipple cut into rings would work as would fender washers but I want to avoid as much drilling, grinding, filing as possible.
I've made a set out of the same SS I used for my levers but I'm not entirely happy with them and I don't really want to make new fingers.

Any ideas out there would be most helpful.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bent

Re: Spacers for Changer

Post by Bent »

Eldon,

First off, it is necessary to have a space between fingers, so you did the right thing.

I struggled with this same issue in my project #2. I checked the two main suppliers around here: Facca Fasteners and Spaenaur. Neither of them had the exact thickness to ID/OD ratio that I needed. I ended up cutting the collars off of the nylon bushings I had and grinding them to thickness on the disk sander.
NOT a good idea. Accuracy goes out the window of course.

In fact I did spend some time looking for fender washers and other types with the exact size, to no avail.

I am sorry I don't have any ideas for you. I would have a good notion to spend a little money here and have my buddy make up a selection of stainless spacer washers on his lathe, with the exact thickness needed, and also some plus and some minus. It would be a breeze for a guy with a decent lathe. Figure on a fair bit of waste though...
That's the best I can do for you.
Any better ideas? bring'em on!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

1/16" is quite a lot to make up this way but on a different project (non-musical) I made some shim washers using metal from a coke can cut with scissors. I cut the can in to strips and drilled it and then cut to shape. I sandwiched the strips between two blocks of MDF screwed together to do the drilling.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Eldon, a quick search at McMaster-Carr turned up this item:

Part Number: 91124A101 ; Type: Round Shims ; Shim Type: Shortening Shims for Shoulder Screws ;
Material: Steel ; Steel Type: Spring Steel ; Spring Steel Type: C1075 Blue-Tempered Spring Steel ;
Inside Diameter: 5/8" ; Inside Diameter Tolerance: ±.002" ; Outside Diameter: 7/8" ; Outside Diameter Tolerance: ±.002" ;
Thickness: .062" ; Thickness Tolerance: +.002" ; Fits Shoulder Diameter: 5/8"

HTH.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Thanks Guys! I appretiate your comments.

Eldon
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

I ended up finding what I neede at our local Home Depot Store. They were in a bit called spacer washers. Good Fit & they make the top of the changer look more uniform.

Eldon