Rivets / Brads for changer

Links and info on wood, parts, design and plans, tools...
Pat Comeau

Re: Rivets / Brads for changer

Post by Pat Comeau »

Bent wrote:Pat, like I mentioned earlier, use a drop of red loctite on the thread.?
Is this the same as what they call lock tight red liquid? :?

And what about Aluminum vs Brass for those crews?
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Never mind Bent :) , i just found some red loctite in my shop, :o , stupid of me lock tight meant loctite...now i know what you mean Bent,lol. :P .......thanks again Bent and Scott.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Pat, I really don't have an opinion on aluminum vs brass screws. Alum is likely cheaper? I would also think its strong enough. But to be on the safe side I might want to go with steel if it is available. Opinions?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Pat
You just need another cup of coffee .

I do think brass will be better and I was able to find them local at 70 cents each. I like the way that you can file the post to get the proper tension you want . By getting it to the point that it bottoms out when the clearance desired is obtained , you are really tightening the screw against the post .This along with some red thread locker and it should be good forever . By filing the post down to get the desired tension , the screw sticks out the other side and could be easily braded over . Scott
burt

Post by burt »

Brass is far too soft.
There is quite a lot of pressure put on the pivot point, steel is the way to go.