source for 7/64" rod?

Links and info on wood, parts, design and plans, tools...
joe

source for 7/64" rod?

Post by joe »

Hi,
I'm hoping that someone can point me to a supplier of 7/64" stainless round for pull rods. These are for adding a couple of changes on an older guitar and I want to stick with the size of the other rods. I'm making an assumption that the pull rods are usually stainless because all the ones I've seen never tarnish or rust. Is that correct?
I've searched the net but can only find 3/32" or 1/8" stainless rod.
I can get mild steel 7/64" from McMaster Carr.
thanks,
Joe
rustysmith3

Re: source for 7/64" rod?

Post by rustysmith3 »

Last Sat. I bought a GFI and then found it was an older model with 7/64 rod. Needed rod to change the setup and searched all around. Metal suppliers, welding suppliers etc. Here is all I could find. Haven't ordered anything from them. I may use 3/16" with 4-40 die and thread the hex nut on the rod for a tight fit.

http://www.speedymetals.com
6x36 303 stainless steel $1.43 each + 8.50 UPS total $17.10
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks. I tried searching on the SpeedyMetals site but could not find 7/64". I emailed them to see if they could find it. In the meantime I think I'm going the 3/32" route also. Our Williams guitar uses 3/32" and works just fine. I just hate mixing in odd sizes in an older guitar. But why anyone would use 7/64" in the first place is beyond me. :lol:
Joe
Bent

Post by Bent »

Joe, have you tried your local welding supply store? Maybe they would have 7/64" SS welding rod there. I suspect that's where the old builders got their rod supplies in years gone by...
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
joe

Post by joe »

No, I haven't tried the local stores. A quick search on the net didn't give me much hope in the welding rod area. I'll check on a welding forum I am in to see if anybody there knows about 7/64 rod.
Joe
Bent

Post by Bent »

Joe, your best bet then would be to get to know a local welder. He will be able to tell you if it is available in 7/64. He might even be willing to sell you a few length and charge per piece. At the welders supply, they want to sell you a whole container of 100's of rods and they aren't cheap!
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

I've got a bunch about 50 pieces of 3 footers of SS welding rod for 20$ and they are alittle smaller than 1/8" so i think they are 7/64" and they work great and save alot of redrilling a 1/8" hole :)
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks guys. SpeedyMetals responded to my email and said they had 7/64 in 303 and were willing to quote. I'll keep checking on the welding rod thing. But since I first posted I managed to get in contact with the guitar manufacturer and was able to order 2 rods at a reasonable cost to cover the current project of changing and older guitar over to the Day pedal setup and adding a couple of changes.
Joe
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

I tried threading 1/8 stainless and chipped my 6-32 die teeth. Now I use mild steel. How do you guys manage to thread stainless?
Conceive, believe, achieve!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Dave, with GREAT difficulty! It is no cakewalk threading 304 ss with off the shelf dies. You gotta be patient and take your time.
The 3/16" pedal rods are the worse. I grind a VERY small chamfer on the end of the rod. Then I clamp it horizontally in the vise. Using gloves, I push with all my might on the die while trying to keep it straight. With the other hand I turn the handle as much as I can. Then, without relaxing the push on the end, I re-position my hand for turning and keep going. Never relax the push until you feel that the die has grabbed and made a couple of threads. I just have a cheap set of Canadian Tire dies and they seem to work ok without chipping.
The 3/16 or 7/64 or 1/8" rod stars easier so you don't need that hard a push