source for 7/64" rod?

Links and info on wood, parts, design and plans, tools...
joe

Re: source for 7/64" rod?

Post by joe »

Hey I really appreciate the hints on threading the ss. I am a blacksmith and have threaded a lot of mild steel, but haven't messed with stainless much.
When you turn as far as you can before repositioning your hands, do you back the die a little or just keep plugging forward?
Do you use anything like magictap to lubricate?
thanks,
Joe

"It's helpful if you can find something to think with" - Clifton Ralph
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Thanks for the info, Bent.

Joe: Not to speak for the pros, I back the die off every few turns. 1/8 rod, which is what I can get, is a little under the diameter for a 6-32 die, so is a bit loose, otherwise it should be backed off every turn (4-40 on a 7/64 rod). I never had trouble with the tuning nut slipping though, on 1/8 @ 6-32.

I use the hook-through-a-hole method of connecting to the bellcrank pulls. I form the hook before threading, then the hook in the vise holds the rod from turning during the threading process.

If you use a more sophisticated method of connectiong to the bellcrank pulls, it may be worthwhile sacrificing 3/8 inch on the end and bend it at 90 degrees to achieve anti-rotation while threading.

I drilled a 9/64 hole in my vise 3/8 deep. I put the rod in and bend it with a hammer.

I use WD40, or any oil that's handy. The pros will probably use proper "cutting oil" of some brand or other. There are cheap, little brushes sold by the bag as oil applicators.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
joe

Post by joe »

Dave,
Thanks for the tips. I use Tap Magic as a lubricant on mild steel and it seems to work pretty well. I will make a thing to put in my vise to hold the rod. It consists of two blocks of steel where I put a business card between then drill a hole the size of the rod. When the rod is clamped between these blocks in the vise it is held very firmly.
I found some 7/64 rod at SpeedyMetals and have ordered some. So looks like I'm all set.
Joe
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Thanks for the tip re steel blocks, Joe. I'll give that a try next time I need a straight rod threaded.
Conceive, believe, achieve!