PSG legs?

Links and info on wood, parts, design and plans, tools...
louckswayne

PSG legs?

Post by louckswayne »

Just thought i would throw this in. Hardware stores, Zellers ect. sell closet rod kits
to hang coats on. They are 1"OD. and long enough to make 1 leg. at $9 each. Looks
like they are lightly chromed and are sturdy enough to hold heavy coats. Of course
one would still have to install aluminum inserts in the ends with threads.
Just a thought!
Wayne
mac639

Re: PSG legs?

Post by mac639 »

Just wondered if you knew about the legs I use. Aluminum adjustable handle snow brushes or car wash brushes. They are light, strong, and have a nice clutch mechanism inside. I've used dozens of them. Get the ones (the most normal size) that are 7/8" OD for the big pipe and 3/4" for the smaller pipe. 3/4" crutch tips fit perfectly on the small end for feet. Some have really ugly clutch knobs but some are very nice....look for the "nice" ones. Cost anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 apiece. If you get some watch out when you cut off the ends. Make sure the smaller pipe is extended all the way out, if you don't you may cut off the clutch part when you're cutting off the big end. I've done it a couple of times....and said nasty words!
Mac
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Mac
How do you thread the legs in to the guitar? Or do they already have
the threads! Also does the guitar wable or move around when useing
the knee levers!
Wayne
mac639

Post by mac639 »

I've tried various ways to attach the legs. The best one I've found is illustrated the best I can in the attached drawing. I have a whole bunch of
1-1/4" regtangular tubing (1/8" wall). I drill the holes at 10 deg. (actually I use a hole saw in the drill press) ...7/8" holes. Then I make the wedge and thread it for the 1/4" bolt. Wing nut attached permanently to the bolt head. Insert the bolt with the wedge inside and screw on a nylon insert lock nut on the bottom. Now when the bolt is turned the wedge goes up or down and secures the leg in the holes. Very strong, absolutely no wobble, and releases instantly with only a turn or so. I make the tubing about 2" long or so and attach it to the guitar body with long wood screws and a nice screw in from the endplate as well. Sorry...the wedge isn't BLUE as I planned!!
Mac
Attachments
leg_anchor.JPG
leg_anchor.JPG (50.45 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
Georg

Post by Georg »

Some really good ideas there. Thanks both.
steelguitarlegs

Post by steelguitarlegs »

If you need standard size polished chrome over steel or chrome over alloy legs for the steel guitar, visit steelguitarparts.net. Several of the top builders have called these the best legs made for steel guitar and they are being used by all but about 2 of the top builders and by many of the small ones.

Thanks,

Ray