Raise Lower Levers Material

Links and info on wood, parts, design and plans, tools...
Bent

Re: Raise Lower Levers Material

Post by Bent »

Bill, that looks like a great changer mech...I have lots of questions about it, like materials used, pivot length measurements etc etc.
But first: where the lower bar touches the finger. There you have steel to aluminum contact, and pretty heavy contact too. What is your take on putting a sealed ball bearing there and removing practically all wear and friction?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

I hadn't gotten that far in my planning, Bent, but I have seriously considered that. Seems like that little tab of steel could really chew up the alu. in short order. Not an original idea on my part, though. I saw it on a SGF thread recently in my search for ideas.

It would also be nice to have ball-bearings where the changers ride on the changer axle. Not sure if I want to go that far, though!

I really want to make this as simple as I can. To me, simplicity is always elegant and damned practical.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Bill, true, the KISS method is usually the best. I like the ball bearing idea for its eliminating that wear point.

I think, instead of a ball or needle bearing on the shaft, an oilite bushing would be sufficient. It is factory lubed and is supposed to last til the bushing wears out. Also, with aluminum on steel, I would think the hole would wear oblong in time. It's better to have the oilite wear out and replace it.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
burt

Post by burt »

You need to remake the lower piece, so that a tab could be bent (at 90 degrees) to widen the surface area where it touches the aluminium.
Bent

Post by Bent »

"burt" that is the point I am suggesting a ball bearing be installed. Many builders just use it like Bill has it, with the point touching the finger and not bending it to 90 deg as you suggest. They get away with it - for a few years anyway. I say for the extra $5 or so, use a ball bearing and it's worry free... and operates a hair easier also
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I went to the local ACE Hardware and found a cover that is long enough to make the raise lever out of. I have started making a few triple raise levers for my MSA I plan on putting back together early next year. Not finished but you get the idea. Only took a few minutes at the band saw.
Attachments
Nov22384.JPG
Nov22384.JPG (62.33 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
Nov22382.JPG
Nov22382.JPG (65.79 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Scott -- If you are using a a digital camera, there will be a macro mode on it somewhere that will allow you to take much clearer closeups.

If you're using a cell phone, well that's about as clear as you'll get.

Try the macro on your camera if you don't mind. I'd like to see clearer pictures of what you've made. Thanks.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Bent wrote:"burt" that is the point I am suggesting a ball bearing be installed. Many builders just use it like Bill has it, with the point touching the finger and not bending it to 90 deg as you suggest. They get away with it - for a few years anyway. I say for the extra $5 or so, use a ball bearing and it's worry free... and operates a hair easier also
Absolutely. I can't even describe how much easier it will be to add a bearing there than remake the entire piece!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

This is better.
Attachments
Nov22388.JPG
Nov22388.JPG (60.5 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Nov22387.JPG
Nov22387.JPG (63.82 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
Nov22389.JPG
Nov22389.JPG (71.16 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Hey man, I like it. What box extender (or box) did you use to make it?