Casting - Home foundry

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
shobudmaverick

Re: Casting - Home foundry

Post by shobudmaverick »

I wanna hear from some of you that have cast some parts.How bad was the shrinkage?Did it go well for you or had you rather just mill your parts?
shobudmaverick

Post by shobudmaverick »

I am still looking at trying some casting and may try soon.I am still in question of how bad shrinkage might be.I plan on trying to make a ten string keyhead just for practice.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Shobud, you should go to YouTube and watch mrpete222, and myfordboy, they both have a lot of information that you can use. Read what they are about and watch what interest's you. Actually you should watch a lot of them, you cannot learn too much about sand casting. If you are planning to machine after you make a casting, then by all means make your pattern a little larger. My old Sho-Bud didn't have much machining on the key head, only where it met the neck and the slots for the string rollers, maybe the outside where the keys mount. You need to do some research before you get into actual casting. Another thing, to make your casting with more detail, make a 4 piece frame, larger than your flask and cover it with screen, like screen door screen, metal preffable and sift the first sand you put over your pattern, it will bring out a lot of detail if your sand is fine enough. I watched myfordboy, and he just put the sand in over the pattern. You can do this if you are not looking for a lot of detail........ Mike