A couple of questions

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
shobudmaverick

A couple of questions

Post by shobudmaverick »

First off I do not know a whole lot about a router or making steel guitars however I have considered a small project with an all wood neck and it be a non pedal.I want to hear from some of you who have made your own all wood neck when I say all wood I mean keyhead and all being made out of wood.I wanna know about what kind of router I need without getting really expensive.I know this may be kind of a dumb question but I dont wanna invest in something and it not be what I need.Second question.I have looked into milling machines but I do not want a very large one.I wanna know what the smallest possible machine is that is capable of milling out metal necks and endplates for a steel guitar as that would be the biggest piece I would be making.I have looked into this stuff online but I wanted to hear from some people who have actually done some steel guitar building.
azureskys

Re: A couple of questions

Post by azureskys »

Hi there , I think that you need a band saw however you could use a jig saw or saber saw to cut everything out if your going to make it of wood , 1st draw your neck and keyhead on paper 2nd trim it out then lay it on your wood that you are going to use then trace around it and cut it out , final sanding to smooth everything and final shapeing, Aluminum you ll need a decent milling machine , something that ll have enough table movement to accomedate the length of what you are machining plus you ll need some way of holding what you are cutting on the mill table. A milling vise is a must have for a mill, a new mill isn't cheap you can get a used mill farily cheap if you look around , I guess it all about what you wanna do , some guys on here do their builds with very little others have a mill plus other machine tools ,If you get yourself a mill you ll be glad you did there is many many things that you can do that you ll never do without one. Russ
shobudmaverick

Re: A couple of questions

Post by shobudmaverick »

I have been checking into milling machines and have found several used ones at a fairly low price however space is somewhat of an issue right now so I may have to go without the milling machine for now but Im gonna try my best to start on an all wood project which will be non pedal.I had hopes of atleast finding a small vertical mill but most used ones i find are somewhat large so I may just have to do without one for a while.