Milling machine - UPDATE!

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Bent

Milling machine - UPDATE!

Post by Bent »

Well, I can't hold out on ya'll any longer... I am soon to be the proud owner of a milling machine!
Believe it or not but I am actually getting this big piece of tool for the grand sum of $0. That's right: Zilch, folks!

I might tell you later who my benefactor is but I have to clear it with him first. Who knows , he might not wanna make any waves with this.

This mill is what's called a "C-frame" milling machine, it looks more rounded than a regular vertical mill, with a typical letter C look to it, with the motor sticking out the back instead of up top. It has a 5 hp 220V motor- ideal for my shop set-up.

I'll be sure to post pics once I get it set up.

It is one solid hunk of iron - 3000 lbs heavy. I believe it can handle a 3" face mill and at least an 1 1/4" end mill.
It has power feed in all directions. The table is in the neighborhood of 4.5 feet.

My good Samaritan is also delivering it and setting it up, as well as giving me some of the tooling that I need.

So...I'll keep you posted!
Last edited by Bent on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Re: Milling machine!

Post by Allan »

If you decide you don't want it, can I have it please?

*S* Good on ya Bent!

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
larry
Site Admin

Post by larry »

Wow! How cool is that!!

Congrats buddy, I'm sure that will be one great addition to your shop!

-L
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Free is a good price! But getting it delivered and set up in the deal just can't be beat!

You'll wonder how you ever got along without one!

Congrats, have fun and Happy Dang Holidays!
Ross
Bent

Post by Bent »

Thanks to you all! I feel like the boy who had his wish from Santa come true.
You start to get a bit cynical about people. Then a very special person like this one comes along. Your belief in human kindness is restored and all is well with the world.
Allan, you'll be first in line, buddy.
Larry, Ross, It is the ultimate of cool! I have these visions of necks, keyheads, nice shiny endplates twirling around in my head.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

First in line! Heeheeheeheeheeeeeee. I am seriously delighted for you Bent, so, I won't hold my breath.

What you gonna make first? *S*

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

I'm trying to get out to Livermore to look at a newly rebuilt Bridgeport sometime this week...you think if I show the guy this thread and Bent's gracious comments about his benefactor that he'll just let me have the thing instead of taking the $5300 bucks he's asking? I'll even comb my hair, act real nice and put on one of my sunday go to meetin' t-shirts (you know, one without cutting oil stains).

I won't even mind if he's not willing to deliver it!

Looking forward to a pic of your heavy metal when it arrives.

ross
Bent

Post by Bent »

My man said he would bring the cable needed. He had some "laying around" and why buy it, right.
So he brought about 40' of #8 cable yesterday.
I mentioned that he said he would give me the odd used piece of tooling as well. Yea right: He brought with him about 30 end mills in still usable shape. Five were in excellent shape, ranging from 3/16" to 3/4" He also brought some clamping kits.
He also brought this:
A-001.jpg
A-001.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
As you can see, it don't look too "used" to me. It is a 6" mill vise that opens up to 5". The jaws on it are 12" wide, just excellent for hogging out those end plates!

Opps! How did that pic appear?
:-) Kate on left and Chloe on right
Twin steel!
KaCloSteelSm.jpg
KaCloSteelSm.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Georg

Post by Georg »

Good to see you got some help with testing and tuning :D
Bent

Post by Bent »

Right, Georg. Chloe, 3, went behind the steel to "play" and in the course of 10 seconds she twisted tuning pegs and got 6 strings out of tune. I kid you not. Tuning pegs are like magnets to little tykes. But retuning is a a small price to pay for the potential of seeing another Sarah Jory or Barbara Mandrell in the making...