Tuning nut die

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
mohawk890

Tuning nut die

Post by mohawk890 »

I know from reading some of the posts that 3/32" MIG rod is a material of choice for pullrods. My question is what is the threadcount on the tuning nuts and where does one purchase the proper die to cut the threads on the rod? Is it #3-48?
azureskys

Re: Tuning nut die

Post by azureskys »

You should be able to get a die at your local hardware store .Russ
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

4-40 threads is common for pull rods!
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

And the nylon tuning nuts will self thread....Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

I'd like to share a thought or two regarding the sizes of pullrods, pedal rods and the thread size to be cut on them.

Although 3/32" rod material has been used for decades and with, obviously, good success I find them to be just a tad "floppy" for my taste. When cutting threads on any rod, we all have run into the perplexing problem of cutting straight threads on a rod which has a diameter significantly different than the major diameter of the thread size to be used. In the case of the 3/32" rod and 4-40 threads there is enough of a difference between the rod diameter (.09375") and the major diameter of the 4-40 thread (.112") that one runs the risk of cutting the threads at an angle to the axis of the rod. In my view, a better choice would be to use 1/8" rod and a 5-40 thread. The diameter of the rod and the major diameter of the 5-40 thread are the same: - 0.125". Using modern dies, it seems to be easier to cut these threads as it appears that the two of them tend to be "self-centering". Further, if one uses a die with an adjusting screw, one can change the "class" of thread - that is, a tighter or looser fit. The nylon adjusters will "self-thread" on the 5-40 threads as well. There's only a .0125" difference between the two.

As regards the pedal rods, the line of thinking is the same. A 3/16" rod has a diameter of .1875" while the major diameter of a 10-32 thread is .190" - a difference of only a little more than one thou. Once again, cutting these threads at the pedal end is a snap. Any "slop" is minimal, at best.

Yes, I know, weight is always a consideration as is the ease of fabrication. In refurbing an old Dekley, I have found that the combinations described above work quite well. The increase in weight is minimal and I doubt that one could determine a difference except upon a scale.

You all know me and one of my philosophies: - Personal Preference trumps all else. Just thought that I'd share an experience or two with y'all for whatever it's worth.

Richard
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I would like to chime in on this post also. I had this tool made sometime back 'cause I also had trouble keeping threads straight on some rods. The piece is 1 3/4 in. in diameter and about that long. With set screws in approprate places the dies go in one end and the guide pieces in the other. The guide pieces are 3/4 in. in diameter going back almost to the die leaving enough room for shavings to accumulate. You can use just about any size you wish, just make a guide the size of your rod. I modified it to hold the wrench that fits the set screws with a neo magnet. hope this helps you all
Attachments
GEDC0369.JPG
GEDC0369.JPG (362.87 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
GEDC0368.JPG
GEDC0368.JPG (365.99 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
GEDC0363.JPG
GEDC0363.JPG (414.99 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

A couple more....
Attachments
GEDC0371.JPG
GEDC0371.JPG (421.57 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
GEDC0370.JPG
GEDC0370.JPG (356.34 KiB) Viewed 10832 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Mike, pure genius! The guide pieces is what its all about. I shall discuss this with my turner and have him make me one. I would think the handles are 1/4" diam? How long will they have to be to make it comfortable? I know this is likely personal preference but what you arrived at will likely be the best one.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Bent, I really just guessed at the length of the handles, I had only used it for 6/32 threads and could turn the holder without the handles. I think I had threaded the Pedel rods by hand got them a little crooked and realized I needed something to get them straighter. You could always make them 3/8 for more hand comfort, I think they were about 5 inches long...

Mike
rtp_burnsville

Post by rtp_burnsville »

That is a great idea...... It's one of those, why didn't I think of that!

Thanks,
Robert