Band Saw Question

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
louckswayne

Band Saw Question

Post by louckswayne »

Guys
Does anyone know if the small bench top bandsaws will cut 1/4" aluminum!
Thanks
Wayne
Bent

Re: Band Saw Question

Post by Bent »

Wayne, it should cut just as easy as a standalone model.. Takes just a bit more effort to cut that than it does wood. Don't force the cut. One thing you'll discover is that no matter what, the blade will wander and it is quite difficult to cut a straight line. Leave yourself a little material to sand/file/grind off.
I have cut as thick as 3/4" on my crap Busy Bee
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Sure it will with the right type of blade , you ll need a blade with 16 to 18 teeth per inch for the smoothest cuts , you can do it with less tooth on the blade just go slow and remember heat will build up while cutting aluminum really fast if your not careful it can burn your fingers and watch your fingers also a blade dosent care what it cuts ( get my meaning there?) Russ
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Sure you can cut thick aluminum with any small bandsaw. Like Bent says, I've also cut 3/4" stuff with it (6061 grade). I use a 3/8" blade with 6 TPI and it works fine for me. Being the cheapskate that I am I even sharpen my blades after awhile. I use a broken off piece of a round needle file in my Dremel tool. Works pretty good and takes not too long to do the 300 odd teeth. Get the tension up on the saw, make sure your guides and the back roller guide is set right and take your time. I've tried lots of different lubes but find the 10-30 car oil is as good as any. Kerosene is also good but smells bad. The blade will track off to one side of course but it does in wood also, so just adjust your feeding to allow for that
Mac
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Thank Yu-all for your input. Thats what is great about this forum you
can learn from others who are willing to share advice and not just be
out in the dark! I located a 10" bandsaw here in my area but wanted
to get you guys opinions first before looking at it. I can do that tomorrow
and hopefully ill be in business!
Later
Wayne
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Wayne,
i've got a kingcanada 9" bandsaw with a 59"1/2 blade and i use 3/8" 14tpi and it cuts in 1/4"aluminum like butter i can cut 1" square aluminum with it but i have to take it slow, i use a soap bar to lube the blade after every 2 or 3 cuts and works like a chime, if you want to cut some other materials...make sure you change the blade cause it will dull the blade...even if you cut woods, so use one blade for aluminum only and another for other materials and that way your blades for aluminum will last longer.

Pat C :)
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Pat
Yes i was looking at those on line! I can see if i can find a dealer.
Thanks for your info on this! Ill let you know!
Wayne
sojen

Post by sojen »

I bought a 9" Ryobi from a pawn shop for 30 bucks,,,didn't have the switch key, so I couldn't hear/see it run. Bought a switch key for $2.99,,,,runs like a top. Took some time and online directions from Ryobi manuals,,,,cuts aluminum like butter,,,,cuts a fine line,,(I'm thinking of trimming my fingernails with it,,LOL). Seriously, the 3/8" blade with 14-16 tpi will cut a line so straight and thin you could read a newspaper through the offall. The key to a bandsaw is take the time to set it up,,guides, back stops, depths etc.