"New" mill - new challenges

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Bent

"New" mill - new challenges

Post by Bent »

Hi y'all. Thought I would update you on my toy in the shop - the big-a$$ milling machine. I got it running a week before Christmas and I must say it is a nice piece of equipment. Despite it's age (1967) there is no noticeable slack in the main components. Ever since I got er going I have been practicing basics. Working as close to a thou of an inch as possible is easier said than done when you're an old woodworker. Slowly but surely my skills are coming along. I chose to make a keyhead as my practice project. There is a lot of exacting starts and stops and lining up, no tellin' the tedious exact leveling/lining up with dial indicators before you can start cutting. The main motor is 3 hp and will handle anything you throw at it. No lack of power. Right now I am a bit short of cutters and other tooling, having only a few end mills.
The pic below is the second keyhead I made. The first one was just not worth showing! Look close and you'll see a few gouges here and there - from an unsteady hand at the feed cranks.
Guys, I'm gonna love this!!
1st~khd.jpg
1st~khd.jpg (77.34 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Re: "New" mill - new challenges

Post by Georg »

The joy of having a new toy :)

When do you start taking orders..?
Bent

Post by Bent »

For parts or a whole steel? Get in line!
Seriously, Georg, let me put it this way. If you all have something you need to get made, and if you rely on my new found 'skill', I would be happy to do my best for any one of you.
Things might get done slowly at first, due to my need to move meticulously and also because of my own project.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Looking good Bent , who knows what will come out of your creative mind, Im sure it will be fantastic, just be careful and take your time always be safe. Russ
Bent

Post by Bent »

Thanks, Russ, and I'll take your advice to heart
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

The only criticism that I can come up with is the notion that maybe I detect some drool marks on the large end of the keyhead.

I guess it's OK since aluminum doesn't rust.

Enjoy, my friend!

Richard
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

That's a very advanced part (and nicely done as well!) for someone who's been running a mill for an entire 2 weeks.

Great job Bent!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Thanks guys. I need your encouragement.
Ross, nice of you to say what you said. You know what these things are all about.

I have now made 3 keyheads. #2 was better than 1, and 3 was better than 2. Still not 100% though. But I have a super welder. Actually he is a magician with the TIG welder. He can actually weld two coke cans together. I'll bring him the keyheads and he'll fix the little boo-boos and I will re-machine them.
On to the next part...
azgoatroper

Post by azgoatroper »

Bent, I've never heard of this brand of machine but, if it's anything like a Bridgeport, you should find an socket head set screw about the center of the table in the t-slot. This adjusts the spacing of the two bronze acme nuts on the X-Axis lead screw. there should also be a cap screw head about 1 to 1 1/2" either side if the set screw. These actually hold the nuts. To adjust the backlash on the X-Axis lead screw, loosen the 2 cap screws then snug them back upjust enuf to hold them in place but still be moveable. Now adjust the set screw while running the lead screw back and forth just slightly. The set screw forces the nuts apart and removes the backlash. When you think that you've got it, run the table to the extremes of its travel to check for binding. Typically this type of machine gets the majority of its use within 6" either side of center. This is where the gibs and ways will have worn the most.

Now that the backless has been removed, adjust the gibs. These are long sliding plates that are located in the dovetail joint on all 3 axis. If you look at the side of the saddle (the large casting that slides in Y-Axis and supports the X-Axis) you will find a slotted screw head, I'm guessing about .5" in dia. this adjusts the gib. The gib is tapered so that as you turn the screw, it forces the taper deeper into the dovetail and reduces the slop. Again, slowly adjust it while running the table back and forth. You may want to back the screw all the way out (crank the table the same direction slowly) and remove the gib completely. There shouldn't be any parts that fall out. Clean the gib well and pull a shop towel through the gib opening. This is an area where a lot of gunk accumilates and causes a lot of drag. Squirt some way lube into the dovetail and all over the gib and reinsert and adjust.

The Y-Axis is similar but a little tougher to get to. You'd be amazed at how much this will affect the smoothness of travel and accuracy.

Also, a good place to get tooling and cutters is SHARS http://www.shars.com. Not the best but damn good enough. I should get a $600 order in tomorrow. I'm shopping there and been accustomed to the best tooling and perishables in the aerospace industry. Most of the time, a name or brand doesn't justify the 30-500% markup in price. I've had to purchase tens of thousands of dollars worth of cutting tools and hard tooling in my career. I know a bit about it.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Michael
'Don't fergit to drink upstream of the herd...'

http://www.psgparts.com
Bent

Post by Bent »

Michael, Yes it is the Bridgeport type..a bit more heavy duty. Go here and scroll down for a pic of the mill before I got it set up :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=83&start=10
Thanks so much for the detailed info on how to adjust the table. I'll get right on it and hopefully I will be able to tune out the backlash.