Band Saw???

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
bobby burns

Re: Band Saw???

Post by bobby burns »

I have a saw that looks a lot like that one. It's a craftsman from Sears. I keep a block of bees wax by the saw, and after every few aluminum cuts I'll rub a little wax on the moving saw blade. I get a lot more use out of my blades since I started doing this.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Bobby

I have used a bar of Ivory soap for the same thing.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Have you ever tried cutting foam (seat) cushion material? If you have a piece, try it it will surprise you. As thick as you can get into the blade area, it will cut as smooth as anything, curves,any kind of shapes.
I tried it one day on a whim, was pleasantly surprised at how smooth ,and quick it works. I was making a back for my seat, after I glued the foam onto the plywood, I cleaned the excess off in a flash,then tried it on a thick (4") piece, worked great.

Just one more reason to read this great forum...

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) That looks exactly like the 10" Rikon I got from Sears. I t is a nice saw and quite cheap. Thx all for the blade tips on this thread....Stormy ;)
mac639

Post by mac639 »

You're all right about these little bandsaws being the favourite tool in the shop. I bought a little Mastercraft one on sale at CTC a few years ago for $65.00. I've cut mostly all the parts for perhaps 10 steels with it and it's still going strong. The only blades I use (and can get) are Vermont American 3/8" with 6tpi teeth. Work fine for me. I try to only do straight cuts in aluminum, making several cuts on curved bits and finish with the 1" Delta
belt/disk sander. I just use regular motor oil as lube, keep it in one of those refill syringes for printer ink cartridges. I bought a tube of "Cool Tool" cutting fluid awhile back. No better than oil and stunk worse than a skunk....threw it out! I even sharpen the blades once in awhile with a round file (if we're particularly poor at the time), doesn't take too long. Good idea to open up the saw every so often and clean it out with the shop vac. Clean the wheels to take the aluminum bits off them. I just hold the edge of a putty knife on it while the saws running....watch you fingers!
Hey Pat....just sold an SD10 to a fellow from down your way in the Gaspe. Drove all the way here last Monday to pick it up.
Oh yeah...I was going to mention. ALWAYS wear safety glasses cutting aluminum.....tiny bits of aluminum dust fly all over the place, so small you can't see 'em, you don't want them in your eye ever.