Drill bit assistance needed...

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Allan

Drill bit assistance needed...

Post by Allan »

I need some basic information from someone who knows better than I do.
Jobbers bits are referred to as 10D bits. Seems that means that they are of a length to allow drilling to 10 times their own diameter. OK, say that I want to drill and counter drill a hole to form a shoulder I drill hole one right through the work piece then I find that the next size I want to use is too long to enter the chuck without at least moving the work piece or, even worse, adjusting the table.
I need a set of drill bits of all the common sizes but all of the same length.
Question 1) Are such things available?
Question 2) Are they available in different lengths? (I mean same length across the set but in sets of different length)
Question 3) Where can I get them?
Question 4) What are they called?

Hope this makes some kind of sense.
Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
michaelm

Re: Drill bit assistance needed...

Post by michaelm »

I'll start with a little suggestion and then I'll try to answer your questions. Suggestion: From the start, set up your drill press for the longest drill bit length that you'll be using. Use more quill feed for the shorter bits.

Questions one and two: Yes.

One easily available product type is aircraft extension bits. They are available in six and twelve inch lengths (maybe more) and as sets or singles. Here is one listing from Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Aircraf ... Long/G9750
I believe that a Grizzly search will turn up a couple of more sets available as well.

I imagine that some of the other forumites will offer some other suggestions, too. HTH.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Allan

Post by Allan »

michaelm wrote:One easily available product type is aircraft extension bits.
I had a look at these and I think they will be exactly what I need.

Your suggestion regarding setup is good - if I remember to do it! :oops:

Many thanks, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Allan, if I may add from my experiences... I recommend that you buy a whole set of bits..I mean the numbered and lettered bits in between the usual sizes.
This is on account of the fact that say an extruded nylon shoulder washer is not exactly 3/8" ID, but a hair bigger, or the cross shaft wasn't right on the 1/1000"
That's when it's very handy to have the next number bit up or down , to make your parts fit just the way you want.
This might be an unbearable expense, but at least try and get some of the numbered bits on either side of the most commonly used sizes.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

That is a good suggestion Bent. I have been in that situation many times and wished for in between sizes.
This place, where I live, in NOT well supplied with places to get hold of anything outside the stuff that a DIY week end warrior would need so I have to drive or 'net for almost anything I need. Having a full set on hand would be great. Hmmmmm.....

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Allan,
Don't get a cheap set (AKA Harbor freight,etc), A good set will be expensive, but cheaper in the long run.
Been there, done that.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Bill, you are so right. I have 2 sets of Sears bits and the odd one has too much run-out. Very irritating when you have to get the hole exact and you end up with something bigger, or oblong. It is worth investing in a good set of drill bits even tho you have to pay more. One place to get quality bits is at the store where you buy tooling for lathes and mills.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

A tool that HF does sell that you may want to have in your tool box is the spring loaded centerpunch for about $4, I have a couple of them and they work real good. They are good for setting the initial mark, then set a better mark with a solid punch and hammer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91080

Morse, and Cleveland are two good brands of drills/cutting tools, I had to go out to my shop to look
for the name, (CRS) setting in lately.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Sort of on the same subject I guess.... Forever I've had trouble centering the mark to drill holes in the ends of shafts and also in the center of say the edge of 1/4" plate. I bought a long while ago from Lee Valley Tools a 30 piece set of center punches which are great. Just yesterday I wanted to drill down the end of 3/8" aluminum rod. Looked in my set of 1/4" drive sockets. Found one that fit nice over the rod, selected a center punch that just fit in the small inside hole between the socket part and the 1/4" drive hole, popped the socket over the rod, center punch down the little center hole in the socket, one quick light blow with the hammer and ....a perfectly centered mark on the shaft end. Then I thought, this scheme has possibilities! I made a little three piece jig.....two side pieces about 1" x 1" and a 1/4" piece sandwiched in between at one end with a bolt to hold it there. Now I just put this jig over a 1/4" workpiece I want to drill through, take my 1/4" center punch, insert it in the gap on top of the workpiece, little peck with the hammer, and I've marked the exact center of the edge of the 1/4" plate...
How come it took me 40 years to figure this out!!!

Mac
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

mac639,
Whatever works for you is what you need to use, this goes back to my statement that, if you buy a tool box from a retired machinest, don't ever throw away any of the odd looking "thingys", they are for a purpose,like the pieces you use for centering. There is also a combination set(another HF cheapie)that works good for centering marking on round stock, angles and square set "combination square set" for under $10.

Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now