Pickup winder

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Bent

Re: Pickup winder

Post by Bent »

Georg, thanks for further confusing this confused head :lol:
I think I understand the gist of it.
Bill, laying them side by side to let them 'auto -orient" means that the tops will be like N-S-N-S ...and so on
So I guess that's ok then.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Bent, as someone probably said one time or another: "once you get it, you got it, and the going will be good..." ;)

(I confuse myself at time too - too often actually, and I'm a bit surprised that I actually manage to put some of it in writing ... now and then.)

BTW and totally unrelated: did those sketches I sent a few days ago make any sense? Thought maybe we could put together a "flip-over helper spring" in my old Dekley while we fix it up, as one of the leavers is awfully heavy to push, and I am getting older (whether I like it or not).
Allan

Post by Allan »

I posted the link to the winder above so you could see how they mount the PU for winding using tape. Wan't suggesting you get one!!! :D

On another subject, I am confused by the discussion on the polarity of the slugs. Are you using already activated magnets?

And, thanks for the tips on the counter/calculator mods Bent - got it working!

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Bent....They probably won't be any more concerned about you at the drugstore when you ask for nailpolish than they are with me when I go to get false nails!! I've had to do that a couple of times since I play my old Gretsch Chet style and sometimes break a nail before a gig.

About fastening the bobbin to the plate. I fasten it with 2 8-32 bolts right through the 1st an 10th string holes and through the backplate on the winder.

Interesting subject on the Alumitones and other strange designs. My first "electric" guitar was a phono pickup needle jammed into the bridge of my SS Stewart archtop and plugged into the volume control center lug on an old radio. About 1947 or 48....my God I'm older than dirt! Actually I'll be 73 next week

Cheers,
Mac
Bent

Post by Bent »

Georg wrote: BTW and totally unrelated: did those sketches I sent a few days ago make any sense? Thought maybe we could put together a "flip-over helper spring" in my old Dekley while we fix it up, as one of the leavers is awfully heavy to push, and I am getting older (whether I like it or not).
Georg
They made some sense. They will make even more sense when you get here and can explain in person. Yep, we'll make us some of those springs as well. I have 2 margarine containers full of springs of all shapes and sizes plus a roll of 18 gauge music wire if we want to make our own spring.
Maybe you can answer me this: is it ok with a N-S-N-S magnet orientation? Or do they have to be all the same?
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Bill Ford wrote:Bent,
I retired from playing in 1979 and that project was several years before then, I don't remember how we decided that 1/4 pound was the right amount. Probably because the wire was available in 1/4 pound spools, and I think Charles had used that as a point of reference, I think he later used the method you describe for checking and achieving the desired ohm value. However it was decided, the tone/sound, etc was very good, i played that guitar for several years, quit in 79, started back playing (I use that term loosely) as a hobby/personal entertainment in1999 when I retired, eventually building the red S12, and playing at jams, etc, now playing in our Praise group at Church. Last account I had it was still playable, sold on ebay a couple years back, I sold it in 2002 when we finished the S12.

This has progressed into a very interesting thread.

Bill

I wonder what they will think when I show up at the drug store to buy some nail polish???? ........Don't get blushing pink...get clear.

Bill,

Could be that trial and experience was the name of the game back then. No matter the process, they sure got some good sounding pups. It all makes more sense now when I compare this to what Georg tells us about the measuring wheel. Same thing only different :-)
You have had a very interesting career by the sounds of it. I kinda like chatting interview style with people that interest me.
Yes, this thread is very interesting and it pleases me to see how many have come out of the woodwork, sharing their expertise with us. I just knew that a Builders' Forum would be a hit!
About the nail polish..Maybe I'll chicken out and just send my wife to get it :-)
Bent

Post by Bent »

Allan wrote:I posted the link to the winder above so you could see how they mount the PU for winding using tape. Wan't suggesting you get one!!! :D

On another subject, I am confused by the discussion on the polarity of the slugs. Are you using already activated magnets?

And, thanks for the tips on the counter/calculator mods Bent - got it working!

Allan.....
Couldn't find the link Allan, just the one with the Schatten winder
Yes, you use already activated magnets. I got the Alnico grade 5, 1/4" diam X 3/4" long at http://www.jobmastermagnets.com/ under Tools and specialty magnets
Great! I am glad you got it working. By the way guys, youtube usually has the answers. That is where I learned all this stuff.
Bent

Post by Bent »

mac639 wrote:Bent....Gretsch Chet style
About fastening the bobbin to the plate. I fasten it with 2 8-32 bolts right through the 1st an 10th string holes and through the backplate on the winder.

Interesting subject on the Alumitones and other strange designs. My first "electric" guitar was a phono pickup needle jammed into the bridge of my SS Stewart archtop and plugged into the volume control center lug on an old radio. About 1947 or 48....my God I'm older than dirt! Actually I'll be 73 next week

Cheers,
Mac
Mac Chet style eh? I knew it, I just have to come see you some time. Something about that style that gets me...
Yes, you can fasten your bobbin that way seeing as you use the wooden insert..you can put those magnets in afterward.
Phono pickup needle? Like, where do you guys come up with all these brilliant ideas? You are one talented man and my hat's off to you!
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Bent :) , i did a search on google and found some links with alotof info about pickup constructions and about how to place magnets, here's a few links that might help you. ;)
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q ... 9520ce60db
Georg

Post by Georg »

Bent, couldn't find the magnets you're using. The site didn't behave well, maybe because of my lousy i-net connection.
Not entirely clear about how you'll actually mount them either.
Anyway, you'll get strong magnetic fields with N-S-N-S... orientation, so should work.