Fretboard Layout Drawings...

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Allan

Fretboard Layout Drawings...

Post by Allan »

Following on from a discussion in the 'Beginners Corner' on the subject of fret boards I decided to make some drawings.
What I now have is a set of full size diagrams which cover scale lengths from 22.5" to 25" in half inch steps. I can make these available to anyone in the form of PDF's.
These can be printed on a letter size or A4 inkjet or laser printer.
There will be 4 PDF's in a set along with a small text file explaining how they are to be printed and put together for use.
If you want a set of these let me know. Don't forget to tell me the scale length that you are interested in.
I guess a PM would be best to avoid posting emails in a place where they could be collected for spamming.
If you really need a weird, in between size, let me know that too. I can produce these to just about any size but the ones that are not included in the half increment steps may take a day or two, depending on what I am doing at the time.
Here is a small scale example of the layout drawing that comes with each set:
fret22-5.jpg
fret22-5.jpg (85.67 KiB) Viewed 31698 times
Regards, Allan.....

NOTE! If you want these drawings be sure to supply an email address that I can use to send them to. I CAN NOT send attachments through the forum.

24 1/4" Scale length added to the list of 'stock' drawings.
Last edited by Allan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Allan

Re: Fretboard Layout Drawings...

Post by Allan »

Eldon, Jim, Don - emails sent...

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Allan

Post by Allan »

Eldon, drawings on the way...

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Allan,
I got'em! Thank you, Sir.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Good stuff Don. Thanks for letting me know.
I hope it's what you were expecting and that it works for you.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Thanks Alan now I have to get ink for my printer - maybe I can make some in my shop.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Allan, i've noticed on your pic for frets dimentions that you mesured 22 1/2" for the nut to the bridge!...just curious cause from what i know it suppose to be 24" excatly :? :) ,

i have some mesurements of a 24" inch scale and it explain differently from yours if anyone would like it just email me :) .

oh...and one thing i forgot to mention....is NEVER mesure from fret to fret cause you'll ALWAYS come up with errors, ALWAYS MESURE from the first fret. ;)
Allan

Post by Allan »

Pat, I have made a series of drawings for different scale lengths.
I have drawings for 22 1/2", 23", 23 1/2", 24", 24 1/4", 24 1/2" and 25" available right now.

The illustration in the original post is the layout drawing for the 22 1/2" set. Each set consists of the layout as above plus three PDF's which are capable of being printed out full size. There is also a small text file which explains how to make it all work.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Eldon wrote:Thanks Alan now I have to get ink for my printer - maybe I can make some in my shop.
Sorry Eldon, that part is up to you!
In the early days of newspaper printing they used to make ink from old engine oil and chimney soot. Dunno what made me tell you that - could be a HUGE mistake. ;)

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
jgrant42

Post by jgrant42 »

allan I would like a drawing for241/2 scale. I think you might have sent me one but lost it on computer. I have the 221/2 but could not print it on my computer but got it done. can you use the same tuning on different scales? probably dumb ? but that's how clueless I am. I got that oak I spoke of cleaned up pretty good but you were right it has very open grain but will try to make it work.THANKS
jgrant42@twcny.rr.com