Return springs- connecting

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
mac639

Return springs- connecting

Post by mac639 »

I'm looking for different ideas for connecting return spring ends so as to be able to be adjusted. I know if you've got springs that taper at the end you can screw in a bolt that'll hold and adjust. But if the springs you've got aren't like that there must be other ways to connect them to a bolt etc. My best idea is to take a nut, turn down the flats to a round shape, then wiggle it into the end of the spring with the bolt going through into the spring. Is this the best ?? Any other ideas? Of course a picture would be nice too!
Thanks,
Mac
Georg

Re: Return springs- connecting

Post by Georg »

My old steel (Dekley) has an around a half inch long bolt that is in size and threaded on the outside to be screwed into the spring, and which has a center-hole that is threaded for the adjustment screw. Looks like this "inner-outer screw" is made of brass.

Probably a ready made part, since such parts can be found in a lot of sizes for other items/uses. Don't know, or can't remember, what they're called though - at least not in English :)
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Are you saying it's sort of like a sleeve that's threaded on the outside so it'll thread into the spring....and also a threaded hole in the center of it that you can screw a small bolt into? I can't think of anything I've ever seen at the hardware store that looked like that, but maybe there is something. That'd be a good idea, I must check it out tomorrow. Could probably even make such an animal by threading the outside of a small piece of tube, then also threading the inside for the bolt. Hmmm thanks
Mac
Allan

Post by Allan »

Scott has come up with a great way to do what you want. Check out HERE

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Georg

Post by Georg »

That's right - it's kind of like a sleeve that's threaded on the outside and the inside. Often with a notch across the end so a flat screwdriver can be used to screw them in place - into the spring in your case.

A mind-refresh revealed that we used to call them "screw-size adapters", since that's what they are. Used them for everything from making metric screws fit imperial "nuts" :) , to assemble electrical items. They are still around and in regular use, but I have no idea where you can find suitable sized screw-size adapters for your return springs.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Are you talking about something like this Georg?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=362

I think Scott's idea is better/easier.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Georg

Post by Georg »

Those brass versions look close enough to give an idea, Allan.

I think they may be called "Externally threaded inserts"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_i ... ded_insert
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hey! I remember seeing those pictures of your solution Scott on the SGF awhile ago. Thanks for reminding me. Since I'm going to be 73 in a couple of weeks, sometimes my old brain needs a little poke. And the threaded inserts too, that's good.......thanks guys!

Cheers,
Mac
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Howdy Mac,

I just looked up the skirt of my Lamar and the springs are done more or less just the way you describe in your initial post. The only real diff being that he machined them from brass round stock and there's a short taper on the end that goes into the spring. The taper just assists in "wiggling" the sucker in. Once the threaded nut/bushing is completely past the end of the spring the spring contracts and closes a bit so the nut/bushing thingy stays put.

Doing it this way or Scott's cool wingnut method allows use of springs that you may well find at a decent hardware store.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I just ordered some from Rains and will let you know how they work out. I bought some brass inserts from the hardware store and the problem I had was all the springs I could come up with were backwards to the inserts. It was like trying to put a left hand thread nut on a right hand thread bolt. That is when I thought of the wing nuts. Here is another idea I saw on another builder forum that is now gone. It uses a regular nut cut by a dremil . I don't know who to give the credit to but it is a very good idea . I chose the wingnut because of time.
Attachments
spring%2Dparts.jpg
spring%2Dparts.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 2365 times