Vise mounted mini sheet metal brake

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Bill Ford

Vise mounted mini sheet metal brake

Post by Bill Ford »

Something that is usefull for small SM jobs.
On the lower pic, you can see where 1/4" setscrews are used to hold in place, also note the 1/8" wide relief in the bottom of the "V" groove for clearance (necessary for a clean sharp bend), also the cutout to fit into the vise. This should be no more than needed to fit on vise jaws. I made mine aprox 8" long, you will want to make your's to fit your vise

center pic shows it mounted in vise ready to use, also the pedal pulls that I made from 1/8" thick X 3/4" wide stainless for the pedal pulls/hook.(where the pedal rod hooks on the cross shaft) On these pieces, I used a small square to set the pieces straight for bending.

top shows 18gauge with bends, I made the brake to make assorted door jam repair patches for a 1948 Desoto that I once had.

Material...1/2" X 2" X 8" CRS

Bill
Attachments
visebrake.jpg
visebrake.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
vise 2.jpg
vise 2.jpg (74.66 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
vise 1.jpg
vise 1.jpg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Bent

Re: Vise mounted mini sheet metal brake

Post by Bent »

Man!! Bill, I hereby declare you our resident inventor. Guys, after Bill's rod bending jig, I have total faith in this man to continue inventing useful jigs and gadgets.
This jig should come in handy when bending the 90's on the raise and lower bars.

I will make myself this jig as soon as I get my milling machine.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Here are a couple more if you have really small strips to do. The shape of these are controlled only by the shop equipment you have, and your imagination. I was looking for some SS staples to fasten the fuzzy strips into the door of my Desoto, couldn't find any, so I made a die to make them out of 1/16" SS tig wire.

Bill
Attachments
Die #3.jpg
Die #3.jpg (77.6 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Dye #2.jpg
Dye #2.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Dye #1.jpg
Dye #1.jpg (44.03 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Man that is so neat :-) I should print off these photos and save them in my shop book
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.