Jigs...

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Allan

Jigs...

Post by Allan »

Do you guys make jigs for things you need to route or if you need more than one off? I know that Bent made a jig for his bell cranks.
Anyhow, I decided to get some toggle clamps (they are reusable as needed). I looked in the Rockler website. They are expensive but do-able. Just before I placed the order I chucked the words 'toggle clamps' into Google. WOW! I found this place: www.toggleclamps.biz They come in at around 25% to 50% of the Rockler price.

I am expecting a small order to come in just a few days so I will let you know what they are like when they arrive. I was just thinking that it may be worth waiting till mine come in before placing an order with them or with anyone else.

Back at ya on this one in a few days, regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Re: Jigs...

Post by Bent »

Hi Allan,
I have read about these and experienced them a little bit. I understand that they work on the "cam over" principle (is there a better word for this?) something like a vise-grip. They are adjustable as far as clamping power, which is great.
They are fine for holding down woodwork, for example when drilling pocket holes or doing biscuit joining operations.

Maybe I am overly cautious, but I wouldn't trust them to hold a piece of aluminum when making a dado cut on the table saw. There, a 1/4" bolt and nut was the best solution
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I have used them for all sorts of things in the past Bent but not the ones from this supplier. As I said, I will report back once they arrive.

I take your point about metal and table saws. More in a few days.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
bobby burns

Post by bobby burns »

Thanks for the tip Allen. Great prices!
Allan

Post by Allan »

My toggle clamps arrived today. WOW, are these things ever well made. I will get a couple of them screwed down tomorrow and see just how well they hold but I can say right now that they go over the top of the toggle with a very firm clunk. I think they will be a great asset to me in the shop.

More after I try them screwed down. I will try attaching them to the bench and put some real strain on them as a test.

Pictures etc. will follow.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Allan, I am starting to wonder about what I said might be wrong. I read some place recently that these things have 200lb clamping power which, when placed strategically, might be safe to use for the cutting I mentioned.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Bent wrote:...when placed strategically...
This is the critical point Bent. The observations that you made are still very relevant and great care needs to be taken any time power tools are involved.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
burt

Post by burt »

Bent,
Don't use toggle clamps on a milling machine.
Have a look at the following images, these are what you should be using.
Attachments
clamp13.jpg
clamp13.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
spd_mill_step_clamps_4_13.gif
spd_mill_step_clamps_4_13.gif (16.03 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
burt

Post by burt »

I don't usually use the stepped block at the rear of the clamp, I find a block (or blocks) that are fractionally higher than the component I'm milling.

On no account use blocks that are lower than the component, as the clamp could slip off.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard, thanks for the warning. Although it may have appeared that was ready to use toggles on a mill, that was not my intention. I know that one needs the blocks, bolts, nuts etc like you described. I have some already, will get hold of more for sure.

My change of heart as far as toggle use was more in the realm of jigs where one might clamp a piece to a miter fence jig for a small cut on the table saw