Milling machine ?

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Scott Howard

Milling machine ?

Post by Scott Howard »

Again I have bought stuff that will not work together. I got a angle table attachment and the wrong size T slot clamps. I am basicly using it for a riser . Also I got a small rotary attachment but I can't put it on without it being too tall . I am thinking I am going to end up making a riser for it. Is there any reason why I can't use a small automotive brake rotor and turn it so the back side is true . Then trim it down so it will bolt down to the main table. Then machine the top on the mill so it should be flat and true . Followed by drilling and tapping for the small rotary table to bolt to it. This may not make sense but I can see it in my head . By being cast I thought it may be a little easier to work with than steel . Trying for a economical solution to a too small mill .
Bent

Re: Milling machine ?

Post by Bent »

Scott, I can't see anything wrong with that idea, as long as you make it run true. I am looking at rotary tables with indexing and chucks now, and it looks like they START at $600

Say, have you figured out how to turn it? You know how they usually have a crank.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

What I bought is a small 3" rotary attachment. I think it will do what I wanted when I get it mounted to the table. I found a piece of rectangular tubing that will work so I should have it mounted shortly. This is a very small unit but I was wanying to tinker with some changer ideas .
Attachments
zz.JPG
zz.JPG (9.12 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Here is the mill / lathe combo unit I have .
Attachments
05980.JPG
05980.JPG (8.96 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
Bent

Post by Bent »

Scott,
That looks like a decent piece of turntable. Certainly the right size for your mill. Also, you can mount it horizontally or vertically. It also has the indexer which is very handy. What exactly is the rect. tubing for? The mounting you say?

Keep us posted on your progress...What better way to spend Christmas Day huh?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
bobby burns

Post by bobby burns »

Do you have any end mill holders, or do you just hold them in the drill chuck? I have a similar machine, and if I use a drill chuck, I have much less room between the table and the tool than I do if I use an end mill holder. My machine (and most likely yours too) has a morse taper #2 on the spindle, and allows for use of a drawbar on the spindle to hold the tool holders tight. I make much more precision cuts with tools held in an end mill holder held tight with a drawbar, than I could make with the same tool held in a drill chuck that is just held to the spindle by the taper. You'll gain a lot by getting some tool holders.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Bobby

I have three end mill holders . They are # 2 also and I have 3/8 , 1/2 and I just got a 5/8 . I tried to use the bigger mills I had in a chuck once a long time ago , and was not happy with the results . Mine has a vise instead of a block riser like the one in the picture. Until now I could not get anything bigger than what I could put in the little vise. If I removed the vise the table was too low. I purchased a angle table to solve this but still can't get the totary table to the correct height. This is where I am going to fix the tubing to get the rotary table to the correct height.

I am off for the next few days and may do some shop cleaning , organizing and take a picture or 2 of what I have.
Attachments
!BcOmWI!BGk~$(KGrHqIH-EYEquE3g54eBKzjEEpoP!~~_35.jpg
!BcOmWI!BGk~$(KGrHqIH-EYEquE3g54eBKzjEEpoP!~~_35.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 2033 times