The Ford rod bender

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
Bent

The Ford rod bender

Post by Bent »

Here we go with one of Bills inventions. Hope I did your jig justice, Bill. It works just tickety boo!

I had a piece of 2" angle laying around I cut it in approx 2 - 5" lengths. Then I drilled 2 - 5/16" holes in them so that one is set above the other by the width of the handle you choose. You'll also see a small length of 3/16" rod sticking through the holes. This is the rod that you bend the pedal rod around.

Here is the basic jig without the handle. You can see how it's bolted together and the bottom angle is for clamping in the vise:
rodbender-003.jpg
rodbender-003.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
This pic shows the handle. Mine turned out to be a 10" long piece of flat stock, about 7/8" wide by 3/8" thick. The slot is just a wee bit wider than the rod's thickness - in this case a pedal rod 3/16" thick:
rodbender-001.jpg
rodbender-001.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
The next pic you see the pedal rod in the handle slot, ready to get bent - RIGHT, Bent is my name :lol:
You see some lines scribed on top of the bottom angle. These are reference lines for how much I want to bend the rod
rodbender-002.jpg
rodbender-002.jpg (64.86 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bent

Re: The Ford rod bender

Post by Bent »

Pic 4 shows the bend starting. The 10" handle gives great leverage and is amazingly easy to operate. Note the nice feature with this jig: You need to let the rod stick thru the handle by not even a 16th of an inch. In fact, you can flatten the end of teh rod on the emery wheel and round the sharp edge nicely. Yuo will get a great, finished bend.
rodbender-004.jpg
rodbender-004.jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
Here I am at the end of the bend. I went way too far just to demo how much of a bend you can make without the handle letting go.
rodbender-005.jpg
rodbender-005.jpg (57.14 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
The last pic shows the finished rod. The bend to the right is the one that got over-bent
The one to the left is just right.
rodbender-006.jpg
rodbender-006.jpg (13.44 KiB) Viewed 3038 times
T-t-t-that's all Folks!
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

That's cool as all get out! Thanks.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Again I say - the simpler it is the better I like it! Could just be, 'the better I understand it' too though!

Thanks for the post. That's as neat as can be.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Yeah that Bill is pretty slick!
True, it is the simplest that works the best. The 2 main features of this jig is that you can finish your rod end before the bend, because the handle notch will hold on to the rod. The second feature is that you can get the type of bend you want: angled type or round type
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

All I can say is Sweet. Thanks to Bill and Bent.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Hey Bent,
Yours looks better than mine, I guess the difference between a plan, and an idea....LOL
Please explain (in simple terms) or link me to it,how to post pictures. Do you need Photobucket, or a similar program?

Thanks...Bill
Bill Ford
Steeling For Jesus now
S12,CLR..S12MSA"The Universal" both Ext,E9..misc amps and toys.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

I supose heating the rod before bending would be out of question. ??????

Eldon
Bent

Post by Bent »

Eldon, there is no reason to heat the rod because it bends so easily in that bender.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Great one set less!

Eldon