Cutting channels for inlay banding

Tools, shop setup, jigs...
bluesteel

Cutting channels for inlay banding

Post by bluesteel »

It's been very quiet on this site lately. I'm sticking my neck out here, but I am genuinely interested, silly question or not:

How do you cut the channels for the banding inlay on the aprons of the steel? Do you:

a. Hold the wood still and pass the router along it, or:

b. Hold the router upside down in a jig and run the wood past the cutter?

I have opted for the second and think it is stable and easy to use. But I'd love to know how others do it.
Bent

Re: Cutting channels for inlay banding

Post by Bent »

Yes, we're a quiet bunch these days. Might be a good sign...that we are all busy with a project. As for me, I have 009 and 010 on the bench.

I have the router mounted in the router table and pass the cabinet alongside the cutter. The cutter is a side-cutting one with a pilot bearing. I had it ground to about a .040 depth of cut. This allows for the banding plus glue and leaves the banding proud of the surface and allows for sanding flush.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
bluesteel

Re: Cutting channels for inlay banding

Post by bluesteel »

Great minds think alike, they say! I can vary the depth of cut and have built a hefty timber jig to hold my router so I can pass the timber across the cutter. Seems I'm less likely to mess up that way. The jig clamps to the bench top when in use.

Once my extra-long wood drill bits arrive, I'm ready to put my 001 body together. Honduran mahogany, from an old bed headboard somebody was throwing out... This one will be my "mule" for trying out changer ideas on. At first, anyway.

It seems most time is spent designing and making tools at this stage. Can't wait to hear about 009 & 010.