outer "current coil" effect at play..?

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
Georg

Re: outer "current coil" effect at play..?

Post by Georg »

Richard,

The sweet spot I have landed on for the George L humbucker, is pretty exact center bridge to center PU = 70mm. Then I have around 4-5mm further to go, to 75mm, and can reduce around 15-16mm to 54mm.

For exactness: the bridge/changer is skewed 3mm from high to low string on that PSG - low strings are longer like on a regular guitar, so I measured bridge/PU distance between string 5 and 6.

More than +/- 2mm lengthwise from the sweet spot produce audible but not dramatic tone-change, and the 65 to 72mm range sounds well balanced.

Less than around 62mm sounds increasingly sharp and is great for certain tunes - el-guitar or "old fender" sound. Don't go to minimum very often and usually not for long.

Max distance: 75mm, is where the strings/PSG start to sound a bit too rich and round for my taste, so the cavity is long enough. No dramatic tone-change from the sweet spot, but after a few tunes in that position I tend to push the PU back to 70mm.

My regular sound chain here in Norway (where I keep the modded Dekley) is short cable > LMB-3 > VP > NV112 with EQ stage bypassed. Bypassing the EQ means I also bypass what I interpret as a high-pass filter in the EQ stage's input, so my NV112 goes a tad deeper and more evenly into the sub-bass range than normal.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Georg -

Hmmmmmm.

That 54mm is just a tad greater than the 2" typical spacing but nothing to get excited about. The 70mm "sweet spot" position is just about 3/4" greater than the nominal 2". Trusting to your judgement, I think that I can safely say that my educated guess was pretty much on the money as far as being able to "tune" things to my satisfaction. The "capture aperture" of other pickups may vary from your pickup but it would appear that you've narrowed things down to a good ballpark number. Had I been a little more observant concerning the cavity - the configuration which I couldn't offhand discern - then I could have asked you the simplest question up front - why? - and my questions would have been answered.

My many thanks, my friend. One more intangible to be tossed into the "not to worry" bin.

Richard
Georg

Post by Georg »

Richard, just to make sure ... you did notice that I measured "center to center" - not "edge to edge", didn't you?
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Georg -

"Center to center" is the only way to fly.