And yet....another humbucker

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
mac639

And yet....another humbucker

Post by mac639 »

Good morning all!
On an earlier post I was building a stacked humbucker....didn't like it all that much. And I ran out of #42 wire. I have a 10 lb. roll of #40 so I wound up a regular humbucker (2 coils) last couple of days. About 5k in each coil. Finally got it finished and installed this morning. DOUBLE WOW! It is TOTALLY quiet, lots of power, and wonderful sound all the way up to the 24th fret, altogether the best pickup I have ever made. I installed it on my latest "butternut" guitar. I would say it's got nicer sound than any of the single coil ones I've ever made. I'll be making more of these!
Attachments
humbucker01.JPG
humbucker01.JPG (80.63 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
Farmer

Re: And yet....another humbucker

Post by Farmer »

Mac, looks like you better keep the specs on these's on paper, in case the mind starts to wonder, you know how us elderly are, of course you could also share them too. I have been conversing with Bent quite a bit about different things about the steel, my interest goes way back to the early Bud's .....I have not tried winding seriously yet, but I am thinking about it. That may be the type to make. That is a good looking machine there in the picture, Mac.....

Mike
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Mac, pickup sure looks good ,ive got wire #41 and #42 but havent got around to doing any winding as of yet , made a couple of bobbins also with pole pieces however i kinda like the blade type better so thats what ill end up doing as soon as i get some magenets and hope they turn out as good as what you got there. Russ
louckswayne

Post by louckswayne »

Mac
I dont know a hole lot about making pick-ups, but if we get the tone that we like,
we love the guitar that much more and enjoy playing it! I hope you keep your PU
design on paper ! Keep us informed.
Wayne
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Mac, the pup looks great, what are the red tuners made out of though (drywall anchors ???).
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
mac639

Post by mac639 »

Hi Eldon,
Thanks for the comments. The pickups work great, love the sound, and they are QUIET, man are they quiet.

The red tuners. Yes, those are hard plastic masonry anchors I get at Canadian Tire. Made by Red Head in the states. Come 50 in a box for about $4.00 with the tax. They're 1" long with a slightly smaller than 1/8" hole through the center. I've been using them for years. The CTC number is
61-1557-4

Cheers,
Mac
Georg

Post by Georg »

Low-Z PUs tend to sound cleaner, so I am not surprised. As long as the output level is high enough you can hardly go too low on impedance if your aim is clean sound and good string separation.