Can't get pickup to ohm check

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
Scott Howard

Can't get pickup to ohm check

Post by Scott Howard »

I have a MSA Super Sustain pickup that I just took out of my guitar and I can't get a ohm reading on it. I know it worked and the strange thing is I couldn't get it to read BEFORE I pulled it out. I used it after I couldn't get a reading on the guitar. What am I doing wrong ? I checked it on several settings and had no problems getting readings on my other pickups. I just can't get a reading on this one . I was going to list it on ebay but needed the info to post in the ad.
Pat Comeau

Re: Can't get pickup to ohm check

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Scott :) , if you've checked your other pickups with the same setting on your ohms reader and it worked...then it's the pickup that is fried... or you can try to pinch through the wires a little closer to the pick to make sure it makes contact ;) .
Bent

Post by Bent »

Scott what did it read before you took it out? Could it be you pulled a wire apart when taking it out? Can you get at it right at the pickup, thereby eliminating the leads?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

I tried reading it as close as I could and nothing. The part I don't understand is I couldn't get a reading on it when it was in the guitar and working. I just listed it AS IS on Ebay .
Bent

Post by Bent »

How much are you asking for it Scott?
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Can you slap a cable on it and try it out in an amp. Just holding it in your hand above the strings. I am intrigued when you say it had no reading BEFORE it came out of the guitar.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Bent
I listed it on ebay with a starting bid of 9.99 plus shipping . Someone may want to use it to match a pickup in a guitar. A lot of the stuff I have been selling ,I am not sure what it is worth and just been letting the buyers decide. MSA pedal steel guitar will get you the auctions. My ebay ID is Mullens12 .

Allan
I was real confused by the fact that I couldn't get a reading on it in the guitar but that it still worked. I just listed it as may need repair . I try to list everything as honestly as possible and have had good results so far.

I had bought a Wallace True Tone and was wanting to use it so while I had the guitar apart I thought I would go ahead and install it.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Fair 'nuff, Scott. I'll keep an eye on it.
Bent