Wiring your guitar...

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
Allan

Wiring your guitar...

Post by Allan »

I have been asked many times over the last few years about wiring a guitar. You could write a book about this! However, the basics are not complicated. I made a quick sketch and a few notes today for those who are interested. You can download them here.
Please note that these were produced quite quickly. This not art! :lol:
If you do look at the stuff, and then find any errors, please let me know so that I can check and amend as required for the benefit of others.
As with the others notes and drawing I have posted here an other places - I am not responsible for what you use them for - I can't be there to watch you work!!!!!

Hope this is useful to someone, Allan.....
Attachments
wiring notes.pdf
(27.29 KiB) Downloaded 1805 times
WIRING.pdf
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 1625 times
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
jgrant42

Re: Wiring your guitar...

Post by jgrant42 »

Allan how a would you do a double neck. am starting one and got thinking about the wiring
Thanks
Jim
Bent

Post by Bent »

I just want to add that Allan's descriptions, diagrams and drawings are top notch and easy to understand.
I am currently working on a pickup that Allan kindly sent me the drawing for.
Thanks Allan :-)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

jgrant42 wrote:Allan how a would you do a double neck. am starting one and got thinking about the wiring
Thanks
Jim
Jim, there is more than one approach to this. Do you want to have both necks 'ON' at the same time? (purely personally, I would say 'no' to that question)
Have a think about how you want to work with the guitar and then let us know. Once you have decided I will make you a drawing to suit.
Your options are, both on or one at a time with a switch to swap between necks as required. I think that the second option would be best as there would be less problem of interaction between the controls and also less chance of incidental noise from the neck not in use. There are other considerations also however. The main one is, what pickups do you have in mind?
Anyhow, have a think and let me know what you want to achieve and what pickups you want to do it with. I'll be very happy to make you a layout drawing if you want it.

Bent, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
jgrant42

Post by jgrant42 »

Allan I was going to make it a six and an eight but dicided to go with double six and probably just use p-90 pickups . just building for fun and something to do plus really enjoying it.
switch in between I think would be great. Thanks again you have really given me a lot of help on learning how to build.
Jim
Allan

Post by Allan »

jgrant42 wrote:Allan I was going to make it a six and an eight but dicided to go with double six and probably just use p-90 pickups . just building for fun and something to do plus really enjoying it.
switch in between I think would be great. Thanks again you have really given me a lot of help on learning how to build.
Jim
Hi Jim. OK, here we go. For me, the best way is actually the simplest way. That is, treat your twin as if it were two guitars up to the point where you are about to connect to the jack socket. At that point you would take the two tip connectors to a changeover switch and then take the output from the switch to the socket tip. It will also be necessary to connect the grounding of the two sets of electronics. Regarding the changeover switch, these are available as two position switches or as three position switches. The three position option is known as a 'center off' switch. This means, position one - neck one goes to amp, position two - all off, position three - neck two goes to amp.

I can make a drawing of all of this if you think it will help.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
jgrant42

Post by jgrant42 »

Allan I think I have it. wire the two guitars and then put a switch just before the jack is that what you are saying. one jack for both necks
Jim
Allan

Post by Allan »

Yes Jim, you have it.

Some people like to use just a single tone control for both but I think that is a silly idea. Why not have the option to switch tones when you switch necks?

Don't hesitate to gimme a shout if you need to.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
jgrant42

Post by jgrant42 »

Thanks Allan big help!!!!!!! I am not to that point yet but will let you know when I get that far. Have not put finish on the second one yet. bought a gravity spray outfit but am hesitant to try it. thanks again
JIM
JW Adams

Post by JW Adams »

what about using the 3 way switch from a Telescaster and wire it like a Fender Esquire,( position #1 volume only, position #2 volume and standard tone, position #3 volume and fixed treble roll off, google Fender Esquire for wiring diagram