Pickup free

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
Bent

Re: Pickup free

Post by Bent »

Allan, if you care to live on the wild side, and the PUP is shot anyway, you could send it here and I would attempt to fix it on the Wayward Wind(er) unless of course you want to fiddle with it yourself
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

It is way beyond repair Bent. By the time I got the swarf piece out of it the end was close. I was hoping to get some wire off it to play with but it was damaged through so many layers I just took it apart in the end. It is an ex-pickup, it has shuffled of its mortal coil if you see what I mean. Actually, it is now a pile of magnets, The next stage is going to be in my mando I think.
Sorry my man, it is a no hope-er.
I don't know how it began its sojourn through the world of music but I sure hope no one payed a lot of money for it. Quality control was sadly lacking at the building stage.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Allan

Post by Allan »

Oh, Bent, don't go away yet! I have a question...
What do you feel is a good MAXIMUM speed for a winder? I am working on a new counter system for the one I am building but I have still got to set the drive speed and I have no experience and no clue!

Thanks, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Sorry 'bout the PUP... Sometimes it's best to just let go. Some say it helps if you get another PUP :lol:

From my small experience into winders, it seems that my max speed is 300 RPM. I also feel it important to have a nice even speed curve up from 0 to 300 RPM. I feel I achieved this with my light dimmer switch pedal. I am now working on installing a stopper at 300 so my foot won't cramp up trying to maintain this speed.

Another related thing to the 300 RPM is this: My setup with the reed switch and calculator so far is only reliable to a 300 max. After that it misses counts.
I am installing a better switch that I got from Georg and hopefully this will help. NOT for faster speed but for reliable count.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Thanks for the speed info Bent - appreciated.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Allan

Sorry the pickup was total junk but I had the idea it was. I just didn't want to throw it away if anybody could use it or part of it. At least you had something to stay busy for a few minutes. ;) Don't worry about the shipping . Scott
Allan

Post by Allan »

Scott, You are a gentleman and a scholar Sir! Actually, I have ended up with a non-ferrous backing plate and a bunch of magnets. :)

Hope your eBay ventures are going well, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.