Pickup construction

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
Scott Howard

Re: Pickup construction

Post by Scott Howard »

I have a pickup that I could not get a ohm reading on . This was a working pickup when removed so I don't know if a lead wire got broke or what. It is off my current MSA project and is a 10 string. Not the factory pickup and I have no idea who made it or what the ohm's are.

If someone wants to experiment with it just email me . Here is a picture .
Attachments
Sep06018.JPG
Sep06018.JPG (121.49 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Sep06016.JPG
Sep06016.JPG (71.22 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

EMail sent.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Pickup going to Bill .
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Thanks Scott. Will post here what I find/fix.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Bent, the thickness of the cheek material is not important and varies from brand to brand. Anything in the region of 1 to 2mm will be fine. The material its self is not overly important either - it's just a former and a magnet holder so you can use anything that will hold the magnets firmly. If you want to make adjustable pole pieces have a think about how you will make that happen before you go too far. The only other consideration at this point then would be how you will connect to the ends of the coil.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Ok Thanks Allan. I got some stuff today, it is plastic for engraving..you know white in the middle and black on both sides. It is 1/16" thick and quite flexible, maybe not good. If I find it too springy, I can double it up to 1/8" I guess. I won't be making adj pole pieces for the first few.
About connecting to the ends of the coil...I envision bringing the leads in thru small holes in the bottom, tying a knot so all pulling stress will be on the strong leads and not on the thin copper that is soldered to them.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Bent, remember to be careful when you tie knots on soft stranded wire, as it is easy to break strands when you pull such knots tight, and later if you pull at the wire-end. Not much pulling-force needed either if the knot is pulled really tight to begin with. You often won't notice until the last strand breaks, and then it's too late.
Bent

Post by Bent »

I'll take all the advice I can get, diving into this uncharted territory. I'll remember what you said there Georg. Do you have an alternative suggestion? What about a small gob of silicone? Would that be sufficient to hold the wires in place and prevent pull on those thin coil wires?
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Post by Georg »

If you got space, make two holes in the bottom plastic for each wire - avoid sharp edges in the holes, pull the wire down through one hole and back up through the other and bend it outwards. That's how electric (mains) wires are often secured when they aren't clamped down.
That'll make the wires come out at the "back-side" instead of from the bottom, but no big deal IMO. You can always bend them over the edge and down when you tape the coil, maybe file tiny notches for them to keep them nicely in place along the edge.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Bent, what is often done is to put two very small crimp in eyelets into the lower part of the pickup and then solder the coil wires and the lead-out wires to them. If I am not explaining that too well let me know and I will do a sketch for you.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!