Help with pots for my lap steel build

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
ljs

Help with pots for my lap steel build

Post by ljs »

Hi All,
As mentioned a few weeks back in the "Finishing " section, I am finally getting back to finishing the 8 string lap steel I started 8 or 10 years ago. I have it finished except for the wiring. Here is the problem. I have two pots. One a 250 and the other a 500. They are CTS and the numbers on the 250K are,EP4685 250 K 1630 CTS. The numbers on the 500 are:EP686 500K 1646 CTS. I don't even know if they are linear or audio. I assume they are what I searched out and felt I needed back then.

The problem is I can't find where I got the information to pick these 2 pots and which should be wired for volume and which for tone. I am using a Wallace Trutone, and the caps I have are 503. I have looked through all my notes and went on line to see if I can make heads or tails out of it but no luck. I know I must have had a reason for the different pots and I must have gotten information from the internet somewhere but where?

Any way if someone can chime in and give me some direction here it would be appreciated. I guess my 65 year old brain isn't functioning like my 55 year old brain was. Thanks.
Lavern Skarzenski
maxi19

Re: Help with pots for my lap steel build

Post by maxi19 »

Hello LaVern,

I would prefer to have had 500k pots for both, but with the pots you have , use the 500 for tone control and the 250 for volume and an 0.022mf cap for the tone and see how it sounds from there.

Best Regards Ron Mc
ljs

Post by ljs »

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the information. I do have other 500 pots but they are min-pots and I already have the holes drilled for the ones I mentioned. I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again.
LaVern Skarzenski
ljs

Post by ljs »

Ron,
I want to thank you again. I have it wired up just as you said and it works and is now finished. I have tried to take some pictures but my photography isn't that good. I will try again and if I can get some pictures to post here. It is my first lapsteel using lacquer and I am quite pleased with the out come. I know the next thing is folks will want a sound bite, but I just build them. I have a tough time playing them with no pedals or levers. Thanks again.
LaVern
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hello LaVern,

I'm glad to have been of some help.

Best regards Ron Mc