Tone Pot .For Stringmaster Style Pickups

Pickups, Diy Electronics, Stompboxes, Guitar wiring...
joey

Tone Pot .For Stringmaster Style Pickups

Post by joey »

Hi guys. I am about to build a lap steel using 2 Stringmaster style pickups. These are 2 single coils with 1 volume, 1 tone and 1 pickup blend pot. On old wiring diagrams the volume and blend pots are 250k ohms but the diagram shows the tone pot as 1meg. Now I know the standard with most is 250k pots for single coils and 500k for humbuckers. I also know that it's not mandatory to go that way. I'm just wondering guys what you would use. I was actually thinking of using a 500k pot for the tone instead of the 1 meg. The pickups are each wound to about 8.7k ohms. Just curious about your thoughts on resistance value of tone pot.
michaelm

Re: Tone Pot .For Stringmaster Style Pickups

Post by michaelm »

I have a Fender 400 PSG with the Jaguar style pickup. Both the stock volume and tone pots are 1 Meg. That's OK for the volume, but with that high of a value, I found that not much of the knob travel affected the tone. After experimenting with several differrent value pots, I replaced the tone pot with a 100 K pot and, while still not perfect, that gives a little finer control on the tone. HTH.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
joey

Re: Tone Pot .For Stringmaster Style Pickups

Post by joey »

Thanks for your post michaelm. I'm thinking of trying 500k pot and seeing how that works.